Bilstein conversion or this?

Okay, I now know where the top shock plate comes from, but where is it installed up front? I'm guessing between the Bilstein shock and the shock tower.

The top shock plate has 2 different purposes.

#1 - it keeps the spring "captured" to support the weight of the vehicle.

#2 - it mounts up inside the (top of) the shock tower.

Then the bottom eye of the shock bolts to the lower control arm.

It does this all at the same time.

You cannot install the parts seperately, or one at a time.

The shock assembly is a unit... containing the top plate, spring, and shock. One nut holds it all together... at the top plate.

4 bolts then mount the whole shock assembly to the shock tower... from the underside.

Last edited:
I'm back after an 8 day absence, Happy New Year Everyone. 04_Sport_LS, thank you for your patience with me. Maybe I'm asking the question wrong. I want to put the Bilstein shocks on the front of my LS. to do this I need the Jaguar springs and what else?

First... do you have a V6 or V8 engine? The V6 weighs more than the V8... so you will need to order the appropriate springs from Jaguar... or source used ones from a salvage yard.

Second... the front LS springs have a taper to them. They get smaller towards the bottom of the spring. The Jaguar springs do not have a taper. They are the same diameter, at the bottom, as the rear springs.

This means you will have to source 2 (used) rear spring isolators... to use on the bottom of the front Bilstein shocks.

There are only 4 parts to the shock assembly (front or rear).

1 - The top plate (which you can re-use)

2 - The Jag spring (again... determined by engine size/weight)

3 - The shock body (Bilstein B4 or B6 shock)

4 - The bottom spring isolator (which like I said above... will have to be sourced from used rear LS shocks)

Isolator goes on shock... spring goes on shock... top plate goes on spring. Tighten top plate... and install shock assembly to shock tower and lower control arm.

DONE...

IMG_20230101_112925310.jpg

Look at the pic.

Spring on the left... is a rear spring. Very little taper from top to bottom.

The shock assembly on the right... is a front spring. You can see the noticeable taper of the spring, from top to bottom.

You can now see the components of the shock assembly. Top plate, spring, bottom spring isolator, and shock body. That complete assembly is held together by the big nut on the top plate... and bolts into the shock tower... and attaches to the lower control arm.

Jaguar made all the springs the same size on the S-Type. Bilstein made the shocks to fit the Jag springs.

The Bilstein shocks will fit the spring on the left... but obviously not the one on the right. Ford did a different design on the front of the LS, for whatever reason.

The problem is... that the lower spring isolator (white disc at the bottom of the LS shock on the right)... will NOT fit on the Bilstein shock.

The "work around" for that... is to get 2 used LS rear shocks from a junkyard... and carefully remove the lower isolators (white discs) from the boneyard shocks... to install on the new front Bilstein shocks.

All this... is in the suspension thread I created.

Warning... if you do this... I suggest you take all the parts to a shop... show them this thread... and have them assemble everything for you.

ESPECIALLY if you have never used a spring compressor. One wrong move... or if the spring compressor breaks... the force/pressure of the spring could severely injure, or KILL YOU.

It's a miracle! I got it! I was talking about the wrong part. Our car is a 2000 V6 with a manual transmission. I did try to find the earlier thread and instead found your inquiry on the Jaguar site from years ago. I WILL take your advice about the springs because 1) I hate Springs, 2) I'm a tool designer and have seen 1st hand the damage that 'little' springs can do and 3) as a result of #2, I'm afraid of springs.

AJ

I wasn't suggesting using used rear springs. I was suggesting getting the spring isolators from the used rear springs.

The "spacer" is different from the isolator. The spacers are to level the car out... when the springs start sagging

It's a miracle! I got it! I was talking about the wrong part. Our car is a 2000 V6 with a manual transmission. I did try to find the earlier thread and instead found your inquiry on the Jaguar site from years ago. I WILL take your advice about the springs because 1) I hate Springs, 2) I'm a tool designer and have seen 1st hand the damage that 'little' springs can do and 3) as a result of #2, I'm afraid of springs.

Yaaay... you figured it out. So yup... order front v6 S-type springs for the front... and rear S-type springs for the rear.

You WILL want to do the rear springs also. You'll figure out why when you start driving the LS with only the front springs replaced.

I looked hi & lo for new Jag sport springs to no avail, even traveled to Harry's of Hazelton to see a 2000 S Type, it had a V8 (our is a 6 manual) and wires running into the shock's top stud. I was trying to amass parts for a suspension rebuild while parts were still available, obviously, I'm too late for the springs though I was able to score a set of Jaguar control arms for the rear and FOMOCO lowers for the front (top fronts were replaced 4 years ago). Right now I have more pressing issues so I'm putting this on the back burner.

This morning I was perusing the May Hemmings and came across these people, www.eatonsprings.com. They custom make springs if anyone wants to try them before I get back into this.

Members online

Back