Bilstein conversion or this?

not air springs. it’s just a set of ready struts they cooked up and they’re known to suck

RUN !!! Strutmasters is junk. They are liars too (false advertizing)... because the LS never came with an air suspension.
I agree with 04 Sport if you talk to a representative from the company I'm almost certain they'll tell you that the company doesn't have any conversion shock absorbers for a Lincoln LS

Keep in mind too... that the LS had a few variations of it's suspension. Sport/non Sport... V6/V8.

I have never taken the time to look at what they offer... but I'll bet they have "one size fits all"... and I'll bet they just rebadge Monroes.

I have done the Bilstein B6 conversion in my '00 5 Speed. I love the handling of the car, it was good before, better now. Finding the right setup was time consuming, it took junkyard shims, new springs etc. Would not go back to the OEM Sport suspension.

I concur whole heartedly. Why Lincoln never adopted the Jag setup for the suspension (at least for the Sport version) is beyond me.
Skimming through older posts...which part of the Jag set up? The springs and shocks or other parts? I have replaced quite a bit of my sport suspension: springs and shocks with some low mileage sports a few years ago, front and rear sway bar bushings, rear lower arms, and most recently replaced my front upper and lower arms. It rides great now!

Next in line would be rear upper arms...

posts...which part of the Jag set up? The springs and shocks or other parts?

The springs and shocks. The Jag parts take the LS to a whole nother level.

The Jag springs are progressive rate.. which means they are compliant for "in town" driving... but control body roll better when "having fun".

When I got my LS years ago with 74k miles... it felt like a pogo stick on stops, starts, and turns.

Then at 132k miles I started having issues with the rear lower LCA's and did a full OEM parts suspension rebuild... and converted to the Jag/Bilstein spring/shock parts (including the Jag solid rear toe links)... Now almost another 180k miles later... it still handles better than the factory Lincoln setup.

The Jag/Bilstein spring/shock combo set me back around $1200 back then. Don't know if it's more now... or if the springs are still available... or the solid toe links either. The Bilsteins still are... but there is a minor tweak to make them work on the front.

The springs and shocks. The Jag parts take the LS to a whole nother level.

The Jag springs are progressive rate.. which means they are compliant for "in town" driving... but control body roll better when "having fun".

When I got my LS years ago with 74k miles... it felt like a pogo stick on stops, starts, and turns.

Then at 132k miles I started having issues with the rear lower LCA's and did a full OEM parts suspension rebuild... and converted to the Jag/Bilstein spring/shock parts (including the Jag solid rear toe links)... Now almost another 180k miles later... it still handles better than the factory Lincoln setup.

The Jag/Bilstein spring/shock combo set me back around $1200 back then. Don't know if it's more now... or if the springs are still available... or the solid toe links either. The Bilsteins still are... but there is a minor tweak to make them work on the front.
Thanks...yes I recall your thread on the rebuild and the whole deal of the spring isolator. Is this is? MJA2162AA - Jaguar Spring packer

And, which springs did you use? All I can find is Moog.

That "spring packer" is just a flat disc to preload a weak aged spring. I bought Jag springs from a dealer. Unfortunately... 3 of the 4 springs did not have the isolator... so I cannibalized a set of rear LS shocks at a junkyard for the isolators to use on the front Bilsteins.

I also re-used the top shock plates from the LS shocks. At that point it's just a matter of assembly.

I couldn't cross reference the Jag part numbers because they go by VIN#. Just keep in mind the shocks need to be ordered for a 2002 S-type with "non adaptive suspension". In 2003 Jag changed the bottom mount on the front shock.. so anything after 2002 wont work.

The rears are pretty straight forward. It's all in the suspension thread...though at the end of the thread (when it was resurrected the last time ) I was battling Covid brain and got confused. Too many part numbers were being tossed around.

Browsing google for shocks and came across these strutmaster air shocks I need advice if they are worth it or not
Its worth more to retain your air ride if you still have air ride. I have a 96 needing a compressor but before I trash the air ride, keeping the ride air keeps car original. Buyers see coils a lot but not so many air rides. I set of struts costs about 450 at strut masters vs good arnott compressor from summit racing at 275.00

Just seen them as a replacement but a I guess they're junk, even thou it says "AIR" the picture is clearly a reg shock assembly.. I knew the ls didn't have air shocks since I had it and its funny how alot of people think it does.. even better someone I knew thought it was FWD :')

I got a question for the guys who have done the Bilstein conversion. Can the the top shock plate needed for the front come off the rear shock that is being replaced? I'm not clear about where the top shock plate is coming from (is it coming from the rear shock or is it part of the car?). I am also not really sure about where it goes on the front either.

The top shock plate... is exactly what it's called. It is the top plate on the shock... that keeps the spring under tension.

If you look at the shock towers... you will see a hole in them... and the top part of the shock sticking through that hole... with a nut on it.

You will also see 4 smaller studs with nuts on them. Those studs are attached to the top shock plate (and holds it in place) from the bottom... on the underside of the shock tower.

IMG_20221209_202408295.jpg

The top plate... and the bottom spring seat, keep the spring under constant tension.

If you were to take the shock assembly out of the car... and managed to get the center nut on the top plate all the way off... the spring would take your face off... shoot through the ceiling of your garage (if you have a garage) and leave you dead in a pool of blood.

Back when I was a teen in auto shop... there were a few broken cinder blocks in one wall of the shop.

When I asked the teacher what happened... he told me another student from a few years before... was not using a spring compressor... and when the center nut got to the last couple threads... the nut popped off and the spring went 80 feet and broke the cinder blocks.

Those springs are nothing to mess with if you have no experience working on/with them.

Last edited:
I got a question for the guys who have done the Bilstein conversion. Can the the top shock plate needed for the front come off the rear shock that is being replaced?

I re-read what you originally asked. The answer is no... because the front top plates are designed to allow the front wheels turn. There is a bearing in the front top plates.

The rear top plates are "fixed" and do not have a bearing (so no rotation).

IIRC... there is just a sleeve that the top rod of the shock goes through on the rear plates.

Members online

Back