Bike rack...?

bmxbang

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
So bare with me on this one guys. I ride bikes alot, and the LS dosent like to fit bikes if they are anything bigger than a 20". I told my self i would never put a bike rack on the LS because lets face it its almost a fact that it will look ugly... but i came across a roof rack on craigslist today for cheap designed to fit the ls or so they say. Has any one ever seen a picture of a roof rack on our cars? Could it be it would look so ugly it could in fact work?

Yakima made roof carriers including bike rack for the LS that included a frame mount and fork mount that is no longer available through Ford; try doing an Internet search for Yakima suppliers.

i ran across on once, but in the instructions it stated that you had to drill holes and make the front part of the support mount permanet. I did not like that. It was made by Yakima for Ford.

Please do not put a roof rack on a luxury vehicle.

I used to just pull the front tire off my Giant and throw a blanket in the back seat. Kind of half-assed way, but only did it when I couldnt get someone else to take it for me.

I know my buddy bought a bike rack from Wal-Mart for $50 bucks or so, just clipped onto the trunk of his Audi and we once put it on my LS and it fit fine. But as far as a roof rack, Ive never seen one on an LS.

go to academy pay 50 bux take your bike where u need to go.... drop em off... take the rack off and there you go.. thats what i do.. im a huge bike fanatic!

i ride alot more than most and i just keep a 17mm with me and take the front wheel off. it fits in the trunk or throw the blanket in the backseat. been doing it for 10 years in this thing now. we put 2 in the trunk every year when we go to woodward.

a little pic whoring from this year
mar20101.gif

may20101.gif

may2010.gif

4024218223_32f7a9985a_o.gif

You will see a lot of BMWs and Audis around my area with roof racks. Its actually quite common for people who have a 'luxury' car as a daily driver.

Just doesnt look right to me....on a suv sure but on luxury sedans i dunno seems a bit odd.

i have a super nice trunk mount one that was like 400 at dicks and i dont have to have it on if i dont want it and i have a mountain bike i put on it just fine

Put a hitch on your car and get a hitch-mounted bike rack. Hitch is very inconspicuous and when you need it, easy to mount.

With the seats folded down I don't have any trouble fitting my road or mountain bike in the trunk.

I personally have a large subwoofer in the way of putting anything through the trunk and into the back seat so to carry my bike, I found a Rhode Gear EuroShuttle on CL for 30 bucks. Works very well. Requires that you take the front tire off since in has QR mounts at the front, but I've cruised on the interstate at 80 with it no problems. The bike does stick up a little bit, but whatever. It works well enough for me...

LS bike rack.jpg

i like my saris rack it works well and its all composite so no metal to scratch my car real bad

Yakima made roof carriers including bike rack for the LS that included a frame mount and fork mount that is no longer available through Ford; try doing an Internet search for Yakima suppliers.

Yakima does (will) not sell the roof mounts for the LS. They were made exclusively for Lincoln dealers. I tried to get them several years ago (after Lincoln discontinued carrying them). Called Yakima directly, said they only sold them directly to Ford and I should check to see if any dealers had them.

I wanted them for skis and bikes. I have room inside if there are only one or two people but a ski/hike trip to NH in 2009 required creative packing to get three sets of skis and backpacks, along with three people in the car.

The trunk-mounted rack looks better IMHO. The roof-rack makes it look like a Subaru Outback or something.

the best option for caring bikes in the LS is to have a trailer hitch put on and then get a bike rack that slides into the trailer hitch, that way you can load up to four bikes on it when you want to use it, and then you can take it completely off when you dont want to have it on there, and it will never fukc up the paint, and they're very secure and dont move around when flying down the HWY, and you can even get different adapters for them. i have one for caring skies, and a flat one to stack sh!t on when we go camping or tailgating.

the trailer hitch was about $150 and the bike rack was about $100

any rack is going to leave its marks on the car. i would pull the wheels so it fits in the trunk.
XxbmxlsxX nice pics i ride BMX too. this a pick from a show me and some friends did at lake las vegas last year. somehow i never get any really good pics. "hey i got a good pic of you" yea warming up. i do have a lot with me cut in half or just coming of the lip or just about to land.
bob.JPG

Members online

Back