Big Problems

earlfleetwood

LVC Member
Reaction score
2001 Continental, 70000 miles. Hit the gas hard the other night and all of a sudden the car started running like crap. Took it to autozone and they said a misfire on 4 and 8. OK. Took it to work and had my bus mechanic look at it, he said it looks like a vaccum or pollution metal hose broke. My real mechanic who I took the car over to and left said that one of the spark plugs blew out and that the base is still in there. He said that this is a common ford problem, and that it is so rusted, that they may have to pull the engine to get to the head to fix it. A) does this sound like it could happen? b) any idea on cost? Thanks.

yes it can happen and yes if it can not be reached without removing the head, then it could cost $500.:( :( :(

Another quick question.

So that means that they have to pull the engine to get to the head? The $500 guess, is that to pull engine and all? Because my mechanic was making it sould like it was a huge deal, like a thousand or so.

If the engine has to come out and one of the heads come off at the very minimum you have some collateral items that should be replaced, and if you plan on keeping the car a LOAD of things its a good opportunity to take care of.

If you really just need to get it running, there must be some shade tree mechanic trick to fixing the spark plug without actually removing the engine.

Plenty of VERY effective products are out there to attack rusted parts. I use PBblaster, Kroil, and Rostof (wurth), spray thoroughly and let soak in a day or so, or a couple heat cycles.

Members online

No members online now.
Back