Beware of SKF GRW186 rear wheel bearings

Kumba

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Had a machine shop rebuild two rear knuckles with SKF GRW186 wheel bearings. Both hubs have play in them that allows the wheel to wiggle when bolted on. While it is likely that the machine shop that did the work messed them both up, I find it more likely the bearings were bad considering both have the same or VERY similar amounts of play.

To save anyone else the hassle though, I would not recommend the SKF bearings or anything you might buy with the part number GRW186 as it's likely a rebagged SKF.

Now to go hunt down a Timken or National somewhere and rinse and repeat.

I thought Timken sourced their roller ball bearings from SKF? They're Spanish, right? Last I heard, Timken only makes tapered bearings and sources everything else.

That's pretty miserable about that set. Hopefully it works out OK.

I thought Timken sourced their roller ball bearings from SKF? They're Spanish, right? Last I heard, Timken only makes tapered bearings and sources everything else.

That's pretty miserable about that set. Hopefully it works out OK.

Two out of two bearings have enough play in them that it feels like the ass of the car is constantly fish tailing like i'm doing a power slide. I guess it's possible I got a bad batch, but I'm not happy to say the least. Now I have to track down more axle nuts, find two more bearings, rebuild the f'ing hubs AGAIN, and then swap them again.

weird. i always buy Timken and have never been disappointed.
SKF is not a bad product, might be an incorrect part number cross reference?
what a pain.

weird. i always buy Timken and have never been disappointed.
SKF is not a bad product, might be an incorrect part number cross reference?
what a pain.

I've used tons (literally) of Timken and SKF bearings over the years and never had a problem. So hopefully it's just a bad cross reference. This is what I get for not double checking the machine shop before slapping it on the car. Some lessons you learn more then once I

Napa's "MaxDrive" bearing is a GRW186 so it's probably an SKF as well. Autozone has a "Duralast" bearing that's a 511032 which is Timken's number. So here's to hoping the Autozone one is a re-packaged Timken. Probably not, but I can hope. No one else even seems to bother stocking them.

Thanks,Kumba,for the `heads up'! We all gotta watch out for each other. don-ohio :)^)

Have you taken it back to the shop that did the bearings to discuss it with them?

Once I get the new Timken bearings in I'll pop them off and take them back to the machine shop. The guys that work there have been doing it for 30+ years so I doubt they messed up pressing them in. My money is either on a bad spec/cross-reference or a bad batch of bearings.

Once I get the new Timken bearings in I'll pop them off and take them back to the machine shop. The guys that work there have been doing it for 30+ years so I doubt they messed up pressing them in. My money is either on a bad spec/cross-reference or a bad batch of bearings.

I still think I'd discuss it with them. If as you say they've been doing it 30 years they might have some insight on them for you that might change your parts selection.

I still think I'd discuss it with them. If as you say they've been doing it 30 years they might have some insight on them for you that might change your parts selection.

Not sure what insight I could gain. SKF is what I originally used, and I ordered Timken's this time around. When I get the bearings in I intend to check them for play before pressing them in. Not that it matters but I also plan to write SKF a letter and see what they have to say about it. Not that them replacing two $25 bearings means much at this point but I guess that's something.

What kind of condition are the bearing seats in? If the old bearings were in bad shape the could have caused wear that skewed the new bearing install (no matter what brand). How is the 'play' being measured to be considered very similar? I'd think if two off spec bearings came from the same batch/same manufacturer, the tolerance (of bearings being off spec) would be very consistent and measurable.

Not to be a total DB about it, but instead of the thread being titled "beware of XXX rear wheel bearings" I'd question your machine shop about their +/- tolerances and how the bearings were installed first. Cheers

And you're confident that everything else bolted together properly (and undamaged) when the rear knuckles where put back in? Back to my earlier comment about how the play was measured. If toe links are bad, or something wasn't put back together properly seems WAY more plausible than bearings being out of spec.

And you're confident that everything else bolted together properly (and undamaged) when the rear knuckles where put back in? Back to my earlier comment about how the play was measured. If toe links are bad, or something wasn't put back together properly seems WAY more plausible than bearings being out of spec.

New upper control arms
New lower control arms
New OEM toe links
Knuckles were off a donor car without bearing noise (blown engine though)
Alignment was done

Bearing play is being measured by me grabbing the rim and pulling one side out then pushing it back in. I'd have to do math (and I'm feeling lazy) but the toe on the tire changes about 1/8" or so. I use the term "toe" but the rim will rock back and forth that much in pretty much any direction. The term was just used as a visual aide.

Lifted car up and looked at the suspension while someone moved the rim back and forth. The CV axle moves with the rim, the knuckle and the rest of the suspension does not move at all. Double checked torque on CV axle nut and it was correct. Only option left is bad bearing or bad machine shop.

Regardless of the actual issue, the fix is the same. Get new bearings, rebuild the old set of knuckles (not the donor car knuckles), and try again. I will be using a different machine shop then the one I used last time which should hopefully address a quality of workmanship issue.

Ironically when I ordered the Timken boxed bearings they game with an SKF in the box. Hopefully if the bearings I got were a bad batch then this one will be from a different one. At least I can hope they are. I have verified with SKF's interchange that GRW186 is the correct rear wheel hub bearing.

The wheel bearing is a double angular ball bearing so any play that would allow the wheel to rock back and forth should be measurable as end play. I plan to have the new machine shop put the bearings on a flat supported by the outer race, put a straight edge across it, push down on the inner race, and measure the distance from the outer race to the inner race. They'll then repeat the same process but by supporting the inner race and measure the distance from the straight edge to the outer race. That should give me a total endplay measurement by adding those two figures. I'll then just need to get the actual specs for the bearings from SKF and see if they're within spec.

Then repeat the whole process once they're mounted up in the hubs. They should have near to zero end play once rebuilt in the hub. Runout should also be near zero.

Members online

Back