Best years to look for when buying an LS

johnnyblazzwa

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, New here and considering buying an LS as my next vehicle(if not another caddy). I've heard from people that the lincoln ls had problems in its earleir years
I'm just wondering what are the safest years to buy an LS in terms of reliability? when did ford get most the kinks worked? should i only look at
2nd gen? are 2002's alright? should 2003 be avoided casue its the first year of 2nd gen? Tranny problems certain years? engine probles certain years?

I've heard the duratech v6 is supposed to be bullet proof or at least on the newer models, to me its a toss up because i would like more then 230 hp in a car this big plus i wonder why a 230 hp v6 need's premium , yet i 'll still consider a v6 model if its mean getting another car that will last me 5 years up to 300 km like my caddy concours did(maybe it was luck).

anyhow, just looking on advice as to he best year's, models to buy.

appreciate any insight

Go with a gen 2. They are not as problamatic as the gen 1s are. And yes, from what i can tell, the V6 are less prone to breaking. For the most part, they are reliable cars. The only thing they are infamous for are the coil packs, which is an easy fix. Other than that, you might have few little issues here and there, but just like with any other car, if you take care of it, you will get good in return.

what are your thoughts on earlier duratech's with auto's?

might look at a 2000 becuase a deal has popped up

Adequate power but get the V8 if you want a hot rod lincoln.
The V8 is a smooth well mannered 14 second car, the V6 probably 17.

mine was fine, other than being short on power, however there where a few thing that bugged me, the worlds smallest and most useless center console storage, front windows being auto down only (no auto up), no message center, one power point, the absolute worse cup holders (early 1st gen flip up) EVER.

all of this was fixed in 03, maybe im just crazy but auto up front windows should have been there from the start. and what the hell is the point of a center console that you can only fit three decks of cards in

What's the point of carrying three decks of cards around? :p

I definitelly would love another V8 coming from a northstar but if i can get this 210hp v6 cheap enough and its reliable i wont complain . Kind of wish it had dual exhaust though, that would be one of my biggest reason's to buy a 03+.

thanks for all the insight guys, i'll keep you posted if i get a responce from the guy and look at it

As with all other LS'es. Gen 1's are turndowns (excepting the 2002 LSE), and all gen 2's have cutouts with exposed tips.

oh they all have dual exhaust then, thanks for clearing that up guys. I looked a some of pictures and couldn't see a 2nd. I'm happy to hear this, thought it was just an option on sport models in the earlier years

You can always do cutouts and straight tips yourself on a gen 1. That's what I did:

IMG_7024.jpg

looks good. I'll have to make my cutouts twice as big for my giant greddy exhaust tips

relax , i'm kidding

How did you do this?...if i may ask

by cutting out the bumper(slowly and carefully) then putting on the tips

What's the point of carrying three decks of cards around? :p

Magic... you know how big a deck of cards is right tuff guy? well multiply that by three. lol

all right smart a$$.

there is only enough room for a deck of cards, a pack of smokes, and five condoms

is that better ;)

Members online

No members online now.
Back