Best coil/strut conversion?

infowill

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to remove the air suspension from my 95 continental and replace it with regular strus and I can't see, to find anyone local with the parts or knowledge. Any recommendations as to who does the best conversion kit and how to find someone to install it???

Thanks, but my real question is who makes the best kit

I appreciate the info, but my real question is who makes the best conversion kit. I have found everything from $350 to $600 for a four wheel conversion and I'm just wondering how they compare. I want to do the conversion next week and I just can't seem to make heads or tails of all the kits that are available. They all look the same except for the websites... :L

Where did you get your kit from???

evillally said:
See this article to awnser your ???'s...

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/lincoln-mark-viii/Coil-Spring-Conversion/index.htm

Same idea, and the company makes the same for the Conti...

infowill, we at Strutmasters offer a complete coil over conversion for your 95-96 continental. The kit comes pre-assymbled and ready to bolt on. It consists of coil over struts for the fronts and coil springs and the mounts for the rear. This kit replaces both the troublesome air springs and the VERY expensive electronic struts that come standard on your vehicle. If there are any further questions that you might have about any of our products, please either call us toll free at 866-597-2397, or check out our vendor page on this forum. I think you will find our product, parts, and services to be among the best on the market.

Thanks,
Strutmasters Team

Strutmasters,

Is it possible to replace just the front and have the rear on factory air? Will the ride be weird and unstable? I think my rear suspension is not leaking but im not 100% sure. Do you also inspect systems?

Air Struts
I had one side go out in my 96 cont. I replaced both fronts with active coil overs from stutmaster. These struts by pass the load leveling in front, but let you adjust the ride frimness. Thats what strutmaster says. I took me 2 years lots of agrivation to get them to work. If the ride is not exactly the same with the coil overs as the air struts, the computer will throw codes and the car rides very stiff, Every tar line shakes the car and passengers! Lincoln dealers will not look at it, speed shops screw arround for weeks at a time, and give the car back basically telling me the car is F...ed up. Strut master says go look at the trouble codes and fix the problem.
Problem codes were left front time out up, right front time out down. This means the ride height sensors need to be recalibrated. This procedure requires a Star Testor ll. This is an expensive dealer code reader. I located one, and the recalibrate procedure requires the suspension to go into the test mode. This will cause the suspension to raise up and lower to test output of the sensors, pump, lines solinoids. Once this is performed, this star tester will allow the suspension height to be adjusted, saved, and thus calibrated.
With the coil over struts, the up down setup test will not cycle and the calibration is over, no adjusting or calibration will be set. In other words Strutmaster said they cannot help me any more. The car rides like a rock, and the computer keeps throwing a code.
I was able to fix the problem my self. Don't ask me why the engineers at strutmasters could'nt figure it out. I placed the car on a level surface, used a volt meter to monitor the voltage out put of the front ride height sensors, reaching in with a 11mm box wrench, I adjusted the sensors to the correct voltage. Turned the car off, reset the computer, start the car, problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now the car rides great, I can adjust the ride stiffness, no error codes and the rear leveling works. The bad part is, had I checked the voltage in the first place, I would not have had to replace the air strut with the coil over in the first place, a very expensive mistake.
Some times you just have to tell the EXPERTS, to go jump in the lake, and think for your self. If you have any questions and you think I can help, contact me by e mail.
Christo.
chris.stoffels@comcast.net

Members online

No members online now.
Back