Best choice

KC96LSC

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What's best to do? 98 GT tranny 68,000 for 150.00 - 98 Lincoln Mark tranny under 45,000 $500.00 or soft rebuild 1300. Those who have had trannys worked on or replased, Whats your oppinion?

Thanks

KC96LSC said:
What's best to do? 98 GT tranny 68,000 for 150.00 - 98 Lincoln Mark tranny under 45,000 $500.00 or soft rebuild 1300. Those who have had trannys worked on or replased, Whats your oppinion?

Thanks
my personal opinion was to do what i did last month,i went and bought a low mileage newer trans (2002 gt),i would go for the lowest mileage 98 and up trans,that way you get the mechanical diode intermediate clutch,if you go 99 and up you also get the better valve body.

spend no more than the 500$,i spent $400 and couldnt be happier,also i figured if the new trans takes a poop,i didnt spend too much and can then have that soft rebuilt,worse case scenario,
that 98 gt for 150 sounds like a steal,is that with a torque converter?

are you installing or paying someone,thats my only other concern,if i had to pay to install mine i might have hesitated chancing the used one,but with "free" installation its only a risk of a little money and your time to go used,

confused? sorry.

someone else can chime in here and hopefully give their opinion too

I'm installing myself, Mike. I'm not sure why no one chimes in. Maybe I ask stupid question, or I pissed someone off. I'm not sure. I have read thru search up to page 8. Got a lot of good info there. I PM Geno and explained some things, with a few questions. NO reply. If I've done something wrong, I'm the kinda guy that would like to know. anyway thanks for your advice Mike I do appreciate it.

Greg

m_maker said:
2002 trans for $500 is your best bet.
Sounds good to me. Give me an address and I will go pick it up today. Just kidding. do you know of someone how has a 2002? Do the have it installed?

\Thanks M_maker

I have a test mule 2004 mach1 trans in my car, but I don't recommend it as it required changes in the ECU to allow proper shifting. Plus most 2003 and almost all 2004 transmissions have no teeth on the output shaft. I guess I was lucky enough.

CarPart.com is your friend.

Your gettin off easy $$$

After just over a year of having mine the tranny was giving me more grief than I needed so I broke down, bit the bullet and paid through the nose, $1600.00 Cdn plus installation set me back close to 2K with tax for a new rebuilt tranny that suposedly includes Jmod and shift kit. It runs like a charm now but I'm into it for more $$$ than I had planned so I will be driving it longer just to recover my investment. Lucky I didn't pay that much initially as now my investment is equal to the market value of the car, any more big expenses and I'll be in the hole. FWIW these cars command bigger bucks north of the 49th and are harder to come by. You don't see very many of them.

KC96LSC said:
Sounds good to me. Give me an address and I will go pick it up today. Just kidding. do you know of someone how has a 2002? Do the have it installed?

\Thanks M_maker

Yes,i have a 2002 in my car now,installed it end of april.

works great,had to swap a solenoid from the old trans and repin the connector at the trans,only other problems are that my speedo is off 5-6 mph,till i get a gear for it,because our trans have 7 tooth internal drivegears and the newer trans have 8 tooth.

the last thing i notice,and i barely notice it!,is that when the trans does the 3 to 4th gear shift there is a 1/4 to 1/2 second rpm flare on the shift,a chip (or a reprogram if you have 1996 and up) to modify the line pressure on that shift will fix that,so iam just waitng till i geta custom tune chip,but in normal driving i dont really notice it.

by the way,it shifts so much better than the stock 1995 trans i had before.

Members online

Back