Best Brakes for Stock Use?

rboyer1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey gang,
I've read soooooo much about brakes for the LS I'm now more confused than ever. My car, an '06 with 23,500 miles, is getting close to a complete brake job, F&R. What is the best thing to do? My rotors seem just fine - no warp, no rust. Do I replace them with drilled/slotted? Just turn my stock rotors? Pad dust is a concern. Are there pads out there that don't have the irritating dusting problem I'm experiencing with the stock pads? My car presently has the original OEM brakes... I'm fine with upgrading, and am tired of my car's squeal. Had that since about 3,000 miles. Can that be addressed too? Please advise, I want to make the right purchase -

it all depends first on how you driver your LS. second, how much you want to spend on it. if you drive your LS hard then maybe consider the slotted rotors, there are many threads on that particular topic. also the type of pads you get is important. if you drive your car normally then i suggest you just keep your oem rotors and just get some good pads. porterfield, posi-quiet, ebc, your decision. let me know if you need anything else. i'm sure others here will suggest other brands, combos, and just plain advise. ask many questions before purchase

Ceramic brakes prevent brake dust. semi metaliic brakes have asbestos which causes the brake dust.

Order some Akebono Pro-Act pads from Tirerack.com and install. Lowest dusting pad available, good bite cold and hot, absolutely no squeal EVER!!!

Don't forget to have your rotors re-surfaced (turned) or at the very least take some sandpaper to them to remove any glaze and or pad material. Also helps the new pads set-in.

I'd resurface your rotors, look at EBC red pads, or some of the ceramic pads from autozone and the likes.

Order some Akebono Pro-Act pads from Tirerack.com and install. Lowest dusting pad available, good bite cold and hot, absolutely no squeal EVER!!!

Don't forget to have your rotors re-surfaced (turned) or at the very least take some sandpaper to them to remove any glaze and or pad material. Also helps the new pads set-in.

I have Akebono on all 4 corners and just love them...definetely better than the Hawk HPS

OEM pads and rotors work great for me. No noise, excellent cold bite and fairly fade resistant. For the street.

All,
Thanks for the responses. Typically, I drive like a little-old-lady - no hard starts or stops except on rare occasion. My cars are always ones people want because they're in such good, well-maintained, babied shape. Dusting and noise (high-pitched squeal) are my concerns. It seems according to the responses the Akebono pads are the way to go - never heard of them - can I buy them from a local store rather than on-line? (I'm in the Detroit area) Do they last longer than 23,500 miles with conservative driving?

with conservative driving, all pads should last beyond 23.5k mi!!! If they don't, there is something wrong or they are junk!

Had the wheels off two weks ago when doing an oil change and tire rotation. Believe me, I was most surprised. Stock=junk? Dunno, but I'm disappointed.

Stock rotors for the price of turning

23.5k sounds very low for the first brake job. I did first time replacement on my 02's front brakes last year at 60k and just did the rear last weekend at 72k (back pads had about 20% remaining). I drive passive aggressive, most of the time.

I wouldn't recommend turning stock rotors; can replace with new stock rotor from Autozone for $40+/-; AZone guy said turning cost up to $35 per. I went with ceramic pads to reduce/eliminate noise and dust. We'll see.

Note: If you purchase from AZone rent the caliper piston retracting tool while you're there; $35 deposit, fully refunded upon return (and don't forget to remove the reservoir cap while compressing the piston like somebody I know :)

Ordered my Akebono's from Tirerack.com, not sure who else carries them. Tirerack also has Valeo buy one get one free on wipers. Great wipers, even better price, same as Bosch Icon wipers. Get a set of the wipers when you order your pads. It's like ten bucks to turn a rotor. Find a brake shop or any mechanic shop will do it for you. Call around

I knew somebody was going to say that... Where they get you is on the shipping.

In the end after all the shipping and all that is added up, Tirerack is only a few dollars cheaper. Tirerack however says they will get to you in 3 days, not sure how fast the other site will get them to you since they are charging less for shipping.

26K and replacing pads?

Something wrong here dude, my original pads on the front lasted 65k, the back I just replaced at 98k with 1/4 inch pad still on them.

I buy the NAPA ceramics, no noise or squeel.

Get the autozone loaner tool for disc brakes, you will need it for the rear brake pistons.

Just replaced my rear pads on Wednesday.:)

Okay so there are many different pads that work good on the LS but what about rotors? What are the best rotors for stock use?

Refering to Tireman's post, I thought the same thing, but when I jacked up the wheels and gave them a spin, no drag worth mentioning was present. No evidence of discoloration from heat, no excessive dusting at any one wheel. I'm scratching my head on this one. This LS I bought the car last year from an elderly couple in Miami, FL when the gentleman lost his license due to poor vision. 12k on the clock at the time. Car was/is like new. I know they drove it from New Jersey to Miami three times, that's where the miles racked up. I-95 all the way... So, why am I down to the wear indicators?

Members online

No members online now.
Back