Best Bass Subwoofers & Enclosure

LSG

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I listen to mostly Rap/R&B/Hip-Hop and I am considering on putting some serious bass(ex. body shakin', do I hear thunder or is it LSG coming down the road) in the trunk. I would like to know what would be the best bass subwoofers & enclosure for putting in the LS? Some people have said that the LS trunk traps the sound.

I like the same music and I have heard just about all the subs out there and the ones that sound the best to me are Alpine and JL Audio. I have decided to go with tha Alpine setup. I got an Alpine amp that is rated at 800w for the Alpine bandpass box that has one ten inch sub that is able to handle 1000w peek power. I also changed the inside speakers to Alpine S series (200W each) and I have the Alpine amp rated at 600w 4 the inside speakers. With that setup they sound great. A lot of people think that I have 12in subs in there cause I can make car alarms go off but it's only one 10in. Alpine cost a lot of $ but you will be happy with the proformance they give you.

My head unit is Eclipse, which sounds great, but I don't recommend Eclipse since their products fall to pieces after a while and their customer service sucks balls and both my retailer and Eclipse CS have given me the runaround. For the money I spent, I'm heavily disappointed, so save your money and aggravation and stick to Alpine. I've never had to call their customer service and their product is flat-out better.

As for "bass trap" in the trunk, Lincolns and even Raddleacs, I mean, Cadillacs are built for comfot and quiet; so they feature sound deadening and heavy matting to drown-out roadnoise. But with the right setup, your system will slap no matter what. I had the following system in three Lincoln vehicles and each slammed to hell!

For an amp, I use the JL Audio 500/1 mono amplifier centered @ 80hz, for the booming bass. These are now availible in chrome and look evil!

For a sub, I use a single 10W6v2 in a tuned slot-vented box. The combo slams like all hell broke loose.

Here are my amp settings, as I followed from JL's site. The rest of the speakers/ amp system is stock and replacement JBL.

The whole combination of subs, amp, and woofer cost around $1,000 total. I installed everything myself. This system slams for all types of music, but you can definately appreciate the extreme shake made from rap music. I think you'd be happiest with this setup.

BTW, alot of people laugh and call JL "overrated"; if you hear this from some pimple-faced ricer or some know-nothing Best Buy/ Circuit City sales-idiot tryin to push you that Fosgate, JVC, Sony, or Lightning Audio trash, bitchslap them and then go out and crank your JL's. You get what you pay for...

JL and Alpine

I agree with previous posts that JL is definitely the best for subs and amps. I prefer Alpine for my head units, I consider them the best manufacturer. I have an Alpine head unit in my '98 Mark VIII LSC, and I have 3 10" JL subs in the trunk along with a JL 500/1 amp and the system sounds great.

My next upgrade is to get new speakers along with a JL amp for the speakers, then somewhere down the road I'll sell my 500/1 sub amp and get a 1000/1 made by JL...

Car 010 (Small).jpg

Car 011 (Small).jpg

Car 014 (Small).jpg

Alpine V-12 amps are the best all around amps and if you get a alpine head unit w/ bass engine adjustments, it gives you a full range of setups for the V-12 amps. I have had Alpine in just about every car I have owned and I will never turn back.

-Scott-

how much money do you have to work with.. i think this may narrow it down quite a bit..
looking for a new head unit as well i'm assuming.. let me know

If you want serious bass.. go with..Kickers new solo x 18" 5000 watt rms 10000 watt max... you'll get some head turns.. lookin at anywhere from 750-1300 bucks dependin on if any dealers are lookin to get rid of any.... You'll need about 4 amps to power this bad boy...
now if your talkin about something a lil more reasonable.. maybe 2 12" l7 kicker solobarics.. they will definately turn heads.. I hit 152dbs in the LS w/ this setup...lookin at around 500 for 2 maybe a lil cheaper, and they have a lifetime warranty if you blow it send it back with 20 bucks and they'll mail you another...
amp wise.. there are so many good amps out there... best amp I have ever had was 2 rockford bd 1500's amazing power and it was a mono block.

another setup descently priced would be 2 power acoustic 12's an Audiobahn A18001DT, 0 guage wire, new head unit... plus a descent box.. preferably ported/vented.. lookin at about 1400 for that setup.. i mean i can piece a descent system together for under 1000 bucks, but let me know what your looking to spend and i'll see what i can do.. maybe even get you some deals on stuff...

almost done with the custom fiberglass install.. i'll have a thread up in a few days with pics on the installation process.

brendangillespie said:
I agree with previous posts that JL is definitely the best for subs and amps. I prefer Alpine for my head units, I consider them the best manufacturer. I have an Alpine head unit in my '98 Mark VIII LSC, and I have 3 10" JL subs in the trunk along with a JL 500/1 amp and the system sounds great.

My next upgrade is to get new speakers along with a JL amp for the speakers, then somewhere down the road I'll sell my 500/1 sub amp and get a 1000/1 made by JL...

Always good to see a fellow michigan old style blue plate, dont they just look so smooth on any Lincoln!!

LSG said:
Hello, I listen to mostly Rap/R&B/Hip-Hop and I am considering on putting some serious bass(ex. body shakin', do I hear thunder or is it LSG coming down the road) in the trunk. I would like to know what would be the best bass subwoofers & enclosure for putting in the LS? Some people have said that the LS trunk traps the sound.

JLs are very good, but not the best.

The Resonant Engineering XXX will easily smoke a JL W7 in both sound quality and sound pressure levels.

evillally said:
BTW, alot of people laugh and call JL "overrated"; if you hear this from some pimple-faced ricer or some know-nothing Best Buy/ Circuit City sales-idiot tryin to push you that Fosgate, JVC, Sony, or Lightning Audio trash, bitchslap them and then go out and crank your JL's. You get what you pay for...

I'm with you half of them think they know what they talkin about but they don't. That crack is for people who just want cheap systems now I not saying all of them suck Fosgate is I must say best system for the price. But I have to say Alpine is the greatest people should buy the good :q:q:q:qe.

Lincolnpimpin said:
I'm with you half of them think they know what they talkin about but they don't. That crack is for people who just want cheap systems now I not saying all of them suck Fosgate is I must say best system for the price. But I have to say Alpine is the greatest people should buy the good :q:q:q:qe.

lol rockfords are garbage nowadays they are mass produced and sold in best buy, they blow all the time and there is no reason to buy them if your looking for serious power... kicker has the best subs around... no questions asked lol, amps i dont know about kickers amps... but im sure kicker amps are just as high quality as their subs, the rockford amps and such will say they push around 2400 watts but thats max IF YOUR LUCKY they wont push nearly that much consistently maybe 400 watts consistently lol... kicker's WILL push high watts to your subs consistently enough said

Members online

No members online now.
Back