Best 98+ continental year to buy

jnb0111

New LVC Member
Reaction score
im looking for a continental. 99 and up body style. I live in Ohio, so ideally I’d like one from down south where i could do a fly and drive I‎t home.
This will be a commuter for the next six months after which I‎t might not be driven as frequently, but still regularly.
I’ve got a 110 mile commute so I need reliable.
Mileage is open, color is open. I can do routine maintenance and repairs. Based on that, what should I be looking for as far as head and options?

I’m not a Lincoln expert, but from what I see any ’98 to ’02 in good shape should be a good candidate - especially if it spent its life in the south.
I don’t know how it is in Ohio, but here in Florida, it seems to me, that used cars in good condition are getting more expensive every day.

Some of the options on these cars --
Drivers Select option (more control buttons on the steering wheel)
Luxury Appearance Package (leather/wood trim steering wheel and two tone seats)
Premium audio system (Alpine w/ more speakers??)
Heated seats
CD changer
Homelink door opener
Moon roof
Bucket seats with floor shift and console (5 passenger)
Bench seats with column shift selector (6 passenger)

Nothing wrong with the '98 model year. If you can find a '99 it has the updated tumble port C heads which gave the InTech V8 a 15 hp bump. It also was the first year for a trans cooler, and side curtain air bags. Make sure the transmission shifts fine, and that the rear air bag suspension light isn't on, see if the bags were replaced with coil springs. Make sure the trans shifts smoothly too. Also get all the maintenance records too, run Car Fax or some kind of auto report.

**Make sure you take off the rear quarter panel inner wheel "rubber" inserts. These are notorious for keeping road debris and salt in the quarters and dog legs making them rust out. Another area is the front inner fenders. Coat them with some rust-proof paint, its easy to take out the fender liners and give the skeletons some protection, if the car is going to see winter elements. Make sure every 15K miles you flush the transmission fluid, change filter. It will keep the transmission in good order.

I'd focus only on the car's overall condition/maintenance history, clean underside, and not options or colors. The nicer the condition and overall lower mileage....the better. I've had both a '97 and now an '02 and I don't find any big differences. The transmission and air suspension system in this model are the weaker leaks. Check them out thoroughly...and preferably with documented transmission fluid/filter service history at least every 30K miles.

Thanks for the replies. I ended up keeping my Volkswagen diesel for the commute and bought a navigator.

Members online

No members online now.
Back