Belt tensioner Pulley Question?

AmsterDutch

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2006 Lincoln LS ...Okay guys... I just replaced my Belt about two weeks ago with a Brand New Gates brand drive belt due to the car had a whining sound when first started up in morning...After replacing the Belt I found that when the weather was below 40 degrees and upon first initial start up in the morning the Belt tensioner pulley would start clicking for about 30 seconds and then it would go away ...I then replaced the Belt Tensioner Pulley with Brand New OEM MotorCraft brand Belt tensioner Pulley only to finf that if the weather is 40 degrees or colder the Belt tensioner pulley still clicks for 30 seconds upon first start up and then goes away...I was wondering if the belt could possibly be dragging on a different pulley or if anyone has any ideas why this is happening ...with Spring upon us the weather is going to get warmer and warmer and this clicking belt tensioner won't be clicking anymore ...really want to get to the bottom of this though...by the way just found out today that another LS owner on a different site has the same problem 30 seconds and the clicking is gone...FYI I was told by previous owner of my LS that my alternator is about 3 years old

Are you extremely certain it's coming from the tensioner? Did you replace the entire assembly or just the pulley on the tensioner? It's always possible the new one isn't good.
The idler(s) can also make noise.

It can also be a very small exhaust leak that closes up when things warm up.

Sure do.
When it is cold and the tensioner is rocking, take a good close look at the damper pulley. I'll bet you find it wobbling. The rubber between the pulley and the inner part of the damper shrinks and starts to migrate out. Check yours to see if the rubber is even with the surface of the pulley. If it's receding inward, then you have a little time. If it's coming outward, then it's way more urgent. This was a big defect that Ford had on several of their dampers around 05 and 06.
Eventually, the pulley will separate, and when it does, it can do a lot of damage. Check the forums. There are a few threads about this. I had to replace mine. (I used one from an 03 in the local junkyard.)

Sure do.
When it is cold and the tensioner is rocking, take a good close look at the damper pulley. I'll bet you find it wobbling. The rubber between the pulley and the inner part of the damper shrinks and starts to migrate out. Check yours to see if the rubber is even with the surface of the pulley. If it's receding inward, then you have a little time. If it's coming outward, then it's way more urgent. This was a big defect that Ford had on several of their dampers around 05 and 06.
Eventually, the pulley will separate, and when it does, it can do a lot of damage. Check the forums. There are a few threads about this. I had to replace mine. (I used one from an 03 in the local junkyard.)
Thanks Joe ...I figured it was a different pulley acting up ...as always so appreciative of all your knowledge!

Sure do.
By the way is this also called a
Harmonic Balancer and Pulley Assembly? Or CrankShaft Pulley?

NM
I found it with a different thread you posted ....
Crankshaft vibration damper

So I researched some the other threads and you suggested that when replacing the Part...you said "Note that you should replace the front seal at the same time, and you are supposed to replace the bolt (but many don't)." So if I buy this new will it come with both front seal? and Bolt?

...So if I buy this new will it come with both front seal? and Bolt?

Not usually.
Note that new OEM is over $800.
At least one person here had really bad luck with the aftermarket one.
There is a place that rebuilds them.
For me, so far so good with used.

Not usually.
Note that new OEM is over $800.
At least one person here had really bad luck with the aftermarket one.
There is a place that rebuilds them.
For me, so far so good with used.
Looks like used is the way this guy is going also,
Thanks again

While Joe has a very good point... you could try a bar of soap on the belt to see if the noise goes away. It might be the tensioner spring.

Just trying to give you a couple ideas before you spend the big money and time on a balancer.

Before you start throwing parts at it w/o certainty, remove the belt. Wait until it's cold out or the same temp as when it's acting up, and briefly start the engine (wouldn't run more than 15-20 sec to be safe). Everything from the alternator, water pump, power steering, tensioner, and pulleys will be removed from the equation. If the sound doesn't appear, reattach the belt and restart the engine (ideally cold or enough time after the belt-less starting to cool off ~5-10 minutes). If the sound reappears, it's probably in the accessory drive.

Pulleys shouldn't have any play in them. Whether in/out or up/down. Grab one with belt off and try and move it in/out up/down. If there's play, it's bad or failing. Should also spin freely/smoothly w/o binding or feeling "gritty". Should also be quiet and unable to hear the actual bearings when spinning. If bearings have no grease, you'll hear them slightly. If really bad, it'll sound worse. As a temp solution, remove it, and you can push grease into the seals around the bearing race (both sides). Press in with a finger, and spin, then repeat. Wipe any excess grease off the outside and especially the contact area with the belt. It'll buy you some time until you replace it.

Also, fwiw, alternators can click rapidly, as can the AC compressor. The alt could have a loose connection at the plug connector on the top of the alt, which could cause it to charge/ no charge rapidly, and create a heavy clicking sound as it engages/disengages. If the AC system is low on refrigerant, the AC compressor can rapidly cycle on/off.

The timing chain tensioner can also make a clacking sound if it has to pump up after sitting, which can subside after a brief period. If the engine has hydraulic lifters and one is collapsing after sitting, that can make a ticking sound until it pumps up.

If the dampener is actually bad, as already mentioned, you'll be able to visually see it. Do NOT drive with one failing as the vibrations from being off balance can cause serious engine issues.

...If the engine has hydraulic lifters and one is collapsing after sitting, that can make a ticking sound until it pumps up...

The 3.9 has solid tappets, not hydraulic.

Members online

Back