belt/ idler wheel assistance

coreydv

LVC Member
Reaction score
85 TC/ 5.0 302ci

I bought my TC this January and the 2 belts looked ok. 6 months later the AC/air pump belt shredded without me noticing it deteriorate. After a couple of months I noticed on the new belt the engine side edge was slightly frayed and now after 6 months it looks like it could go at any moment. I bought a new belt and Idler pulley (though I don't know for sure that is the problem), but I'm stuck anyhow.

the idler pulley bracket has a pivot hole at the pointed end that is held on the AC compressor mount with a nut, then it has square hole for a breaker bar, finally behind the pulley is a threaded hole which looks like it has some kind of pin in it.

1) since this older system has no spring loaded idler, how do you adjust it and/or remove the bad belt?

2) if I want to replace the idler pulley, after I remove the belt, what do I do?

Thanks for any knowledgeable help.

:W to :V I own a Town car but have not run into that problem, other Town Car owners will have your answer!!!!!!

There is a nut on the back of the pulley that will loosen it for belt removal. It might be somewhat difficult to access. I think I used a wrench and wasn't able to turn it very much at a time.

replacing belts

thanks for the response, I found the locking bolt on the backside of the plate, not the front as the Haynes manual shows. Yes the movement is limited and I think the pivot bolt had been left too loose which (i hope) was what caused the idler to wobble wearing out the belt.

Also discovered the Ford recommended belt length was an inch too short, so I got a longer one from Napa open Sundays for 20% cheaper.

Members online

Back