beep beep

jdouglas22

LVC Member
Reaction score
Every now and then I get a distinct beep sound coming from the dash. It's not a door open/ seat belt ding ring but a self destruct kind of beep. Anyone know or also heard?

That is what we call the mystery beep. I get one maybe once every two or three months

Yup, I get it every once in a while, maybe once a month or so. I'll look down at the message center real quick and nothing there!

I get it too and looked down real fast and one time I caught it. Something about gear selector data error. not sure what it means and it doesn't seem to be all that important. maybe its a self destruct sequence for the trans. who knows.

I get it too and looked down real fast and one time I caught it. Something about gear selector data error. not sure what it means and it doesn't seem to be all that important. maybe its a self destruct sequence for the trans. who knows.

I've had this happen 4 or 5 times a year for the last 11 years we've owned ours. It usually occurs when I am going up a shallow incline and the transmission is preparing to downshift.

You will get the beep if your signal lever is on for long period of time.

I forget how many flashes in one cycle, but if does more than 3 cycles it will beep.

You will get the beep if your signal lever is on for long period of time.

I forget how many flashes in one cycle, but if does more than 3 cycles it will beep.

That's a different frequency beep, and it matches cadence with the turn signal itself. It's not triggered by time or the number of cycles. It's triggered by distance. If you drive more than a certain distance with the turn signal on, it triggers. It is supposed to remind you to turn your signal off, but it is no louder than the turn signal clicks, so I doubt that it helps much.

The mystery beep seems to be common to most LSes, and has a number of different causes. Fuel sender glitches are the most common cause on mine.

I get the mystery beep from time to time. I also dislike the low fuel level beep. 50 miles to empty is still plenty of driving distance.

I get the mystery beep from time to time. I also dislike the low fuel level beep. 50 miles to empty is still plenty of driving distance.

Well, actually, for the LS, there's a different angle to it.

Fuel pumps cool themselves with the gas in the tank, right? Most fuel systems are bypass, where the unused gas (over the pressure set point) returns back to the tank. This keeps the pump cooler since it is moving fuel.
The LS is a dead-head system and uses a pump speed controller to keep things sane. So there's no return (less piping, fewer fuel connections, cheaper and easier to install).
That means the pump is pushing against a brick wall. Without gas moving very much, it relies on the gas sloshing in the take to cool it. Once you get below 1/4 tank, that's not much.

So, for fuel pump longevity, it makes good sense to keep a fair bit of gas in these cars. Given all the threads about replacing fuel pumps, I'd say this is an issue.

Members online

No members online now.
Back