Battery's dead; can't open trunk (helpful tip)⅕

footballcoach

LVC Member
Reaction score
Recently, after closing my windows, I unintentionally left the key in the "on" position. The next morning the battery was drained. I couldn't open the trunk to get to the battery. I found a few solutions on this site but none appealled to me.
An 85 year old man (personal friend) who has been a mechanic his whole life solved my problem. I thought others might find this helpful. He came to my house with a portable charger. I raised the hood (fortunately I had not locked the car: only one key). He opened the fuse box on the left side. He attached the ground cable to a nut. Next, he touched the positive clamp to a metal piece sticking up in an empty fuse slot until he found one that arced (produced sparks). Then he held it firmly against that metal thingy for a few seconds and asked me to try to open the trunk from inside the car. When I opened the car door the horn started blowing. He removed the positive cable from the fuse slot to stop the horn from blowing. After making contact again with the positive clamp against the metal thingy sticking up from the fuse box, the trunk opened. Yay!

Nice. I can open my trunk with the key, 2003 v8

Yep, you could have just used your key in the trunk lid.

Yep, you could have just used your key in the trunk lid.

For some reason I had the same issue a few years back. I disconnected the battery and since the back of the car was partially out of the garage and it started to rain, I closed the trunk lid. The key would not open the trunk; it seems the key, when turned, activates a motor that opens the trunk.

... it seems the key, when turned, activates a motor that opens the trunk.
This, is not at all correct. The key lock on the trunk lid pulls a mechanical cable that opens the latch. There is no electrical connection at all. If the key won't work with the battery disconnected, then it also won't work with the battery connected. Try it and see.

The key lock on the trunk lid pulls a mechanical cable that opens the latch.

Yup.

If the key won't work with the battery disconnected, then it also won't work with the battery connected.

And this may be the case with the OP. His key lock on the trunk... may not work... or the cable broke.

Thus no access to the battery when it went dead...

Members online

Back