Battery Question..

stuntin_LS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, im new to this forum and i tried running the searches here but no luck in finding what i need..

Im about 90% sure my battery needs to be changed it's an 04 LS V6 and when i looked at the top the diode was red..

I looked everywhere today but i couldnt find a battery.. No one has vented batteries apparently so before i run to the dealer any suggestions on where I can buy one ?

BTW i dont know if it matters but i did upgrade alot of lights on the car... Im running HID's instead of stock halogens and i upgraded the fog lights to blue ones..

i have a blue 18-LED for turning signals and 2 white/violet LED's for the license plate light.. just wanna know of all this makes a difference. THanks!!

The lights won't make much difference. If anything they are using less power than the stock halogens and filament bulbs.

Don't know on the battery. But if you have a Batteries Plus store nearby it will likely be cheaper than the dealer, and they carry about any kind of battery you can think of.

I got my battery at O'Reilly's. Many auto parts stores around here carry the vented batteries. Search a little more, if you have to then go to the dealer.

there's no o'reilly's near my house.. and i went to a batteries plus store nearby n no luck.. although they seem to sell them online.. but i dont trust it because i cant find any warrant information

If you need a new battery, get an Optima. A little pricy at about $150, but they're dry cells and don't need venting. They'll work in any position and never leak.
KenS from Ben's Place

If you need a new battery, get an Optima. A little pricy at about $150, but they're dry cells and don't need venting. They'll work in any position and never leak.
KenS from Ben's Place

Not 100% true:

From Optima's website

QUESTION

Does an OPTIMA battery ever gas?

ANSWER

When used with a properly regulated constant voltage charging system (such as an alternator) the OPTIMA will usually not emit hydrogen gas. However, gassing can occur when charging at higher voltage levels or in extreme high temperature conditions. In automotive applications this typically will not happen if the alternator/regulator stay below 15 volts.

With that said, I've HEARD when charging, after being cycled down it will gas at just about any voltage (assuming a typical amperage charge rate and not trickle).

Also, although I'm sure you know this... I just want to clarify to other readers, it's not a "dry-cell" as you'd normally think (such would be the case with Duracell batteries)... It's called an AGM Battery. That stands for Absorbed Glass Mat. Basically what that means is instead of the acid just pooling in the battery (as would be with a wet or lead acid battery), it is absorbed into fiberglass mats. So it's not dry... but it certainly isn't WET. The unique thing about the optima is instead of having plates of lead and sheets of AGM material, they are turned together to form spirals. These spirals make the battery more vibration resistant.

Another brand to look at would be the sears diehard platinum. These are an AGM battery as well, yet are not spiral wound. Sears went a different route on these batteries and from what I understand basically made what amounts to a carriage for the lead plates and AG mats. They are made to military specs and carry a 4yr free replacement, 100 month prorated warranty. Consumer report just rated this battery the best on the market. I was so convinced I installed two PM-1's (31M group size deep cycle marine, 1150CCA 100A/hr at 20/hr rate) in our Light Armored Vehicle at work to run our electronics package... if they stand up to the vibrating punishment of that beast... they'll do nice in your car.

I love optima, but they can't touch the warranty of the diehard

i couldn't find one anywhere for my '01....the stores didn't even have one listed in their computers for my car. i finally just ended up going to the dealer

that's looking likely for me.. im not going to take a chance on non vented batteries.. thanks for the help though i really wish i could just a darn battery and not have to wait til wednesday!! AGHH

Optima and the DieHard I mentioned both run $150+. Unfortunately, OEM may be your best bet. I'm not sure how much they run, but I doubt over $150.

I remember that... loosely mounted battery is always a bad idea!!

Why won't a normal battery work?

This is my rifle, this is my gun, this one's for shootin, this one's for fun. And redlegs have the biggest guns. King of battle, follow me.

Because it is trunk mounted, a normal battery will vent hydrogen fumes into the trunk. Remember what happened to the Hindenburg? Big hydrogen filled balloon; burst into flames....

Because it is trunk mounted, a normal battery will vent hydrogen fumes into the trunk. Remember what happened to the Hindenburg? Big hydrogen filled balloon; burst into flames....

How much hydrogen exactly does it take to blow a LS up? I mean you guys cut off your door handles, make your doors stand up, squish 20's in those wheel wells, bagem, switch bumpers and crap off perfectly good lincolns, take the headlights apart in the oven, paint them 2 tone, stick woodgrain tape on plastic parts, put stick on sunroofs on them, turbo's and chargers/nos, 4.10 gears? And you won't put a vented battery in the trunk?

How much hydrogen exactly does it take to blow a LS up? I mean you guys cut off your door handles, make your doors stand up, squish 20's in those wheel wells, bagem, switch bumpers and crap off perfectly good lincolns, take the headlights apart in the oven, paint them 2 tone, stick woodgrain tape on plastic parts, put stick on sunroofs on them, turbo's and chargers/nos, 4.10 gears? And you won't put a vented battery in the trunk?

I don't think the issue is blowing up the car (you would have to get a really perfect air/fuel ratio to get an "explosion" which really isn't an explosion at all, it's just a very fast burn)... I think the issue is that hydrogen gas is caustic and will rust the inside of your car, deteriorate your trunk lining, and if you were to introduce a spark, start a fire. Hydrogen gas only requires a nominal 4% saturation in air to be flammable. In the confined, un-vented area of a trunk, with a lead acid battery... this is a real possibility.

It's called common sense; there is a reason it's vented from the factory.

Members online

Back