Battery question

Unless a build up of hydrogen gas in your trunk is your goal, go ahead and don't vent the battery. Just be ready for a very large boom!

My battery I got from lincoln didn't have the vent. They said they improved the batteries to be ventless, and not emit any gases.

That dealer is an idiot!! Also a liar! The process of the battery making electricity creates hydrogen gas. Even Optimas will vent some.

LS4me said:
Unless a build up of hydrogen gas in your trunk is your goal, go ahead and don't vent the battery. Just be ready for a very large boom!

That dealer is an idiot!! Also a liar! The process of the battery making electricity creates hydrogen gas. Even Optimas will vent some.

Are there any other battery experts on here?
I know an American car can't be this difficult to maintain, no auto parts store carries batteries for an LS, and I'm sick of going to the dealership.
I have an everstart maxx on it now, no vent, drove 400 miles no problems. Can someone else with experience add some feedback on this?

All batteries vent H2, even Optimas. The Optimas have a small vent near the top that allows gas but not liquid to vent out. Do the Optimas vent enough H2 to cause a problem? Maybe but I doubt it, but any battery mounted in the trunk should have an external vent.

The only thing special about the LS battery is the external vent line. On a none LS specific battery you should find how it is vented and provide an external vent. Mounting in the trunk should allow a longer life (less heat, less vibration) but even so my 2000 will need a new one someday.

I wrote to Optima about mounting their battery in the trunk their reply:

"YOU MAY BE ABLE TO APPLY VENTING TUBES TO THE TOP PORTION OF THE BATTERY.(i.e. small round charcoal pieces on top )

Thank you for your interest and support of Optima Batteries.

Optima Batteries
Customer Service"

I had a weak battery, so I took it to the dealership.

Dealership found a bad cell in the battery and replaced the battery under warranty. They even put a better battery in 750 amps(the original battery was only 650 amps).

I was recently told by dealer that a bad cell in my battery led to a PCM issue. I paid the extra core deposit to keep the bad battery since it was only 11 months old and took it in with original reciept to Pepboys. Battery tested 100% charged and CCA were greater then stated on battery. Went to Auto Zone thinking Pep Boys just fed me a line to get out of refunding battery and it checked out the same. Now I am stuck trying to sort things out with the dealer as to why my battery was in question.

My battery I got from lincoln didn't have the vent. They said they improved the batteries to be ventless, and not emit any gases.
"they" dont know what they are talking about, batteries vent! you better go back to that dealer and (1) slap that dumb @ss in the face (2) tell them to order the correct batter right away and (3) b!tch at them until they compensate you for the dangerious sitation that they put you and all of your family and friends in!

sealed desgin, (importent since the batt is in the trunk and theres no venttalation hell you could mount it upside down if you wantted)
optima's can vent, there are plugged emergency vent tubes right on the top that you can see, even the guy on the forum from optima even said so, search it!

Do you need a code for the factory radio if yo disconnect your battery? Thanks
NO

Would any sealed - Maintenance Free - battery work in the trunk? They do not have vents.
any battery that goes in to the trunk needs to have a vent, plain and simple

Has any one used optima batteries?

i like how you asked this after a few different people said that they would recommend them.lol
are they worth the $$$?
YES

EXACTLY

Quoted for truth!

bottom line, even a sealed battery will discharge hydrogen in certain circumstances, you need to get a battery that has a vent, or rig up a vent for non venting batteries like PEKTEL did for his yellow top. or get a trunk battery relocation kit like summit sells that will give you a vent.

i bought my car used. based on how it looks, i doubt the battery is stock (looks kind of new and doesn't say ford or lincoln anywhere on it). there was a rubber snout sitting around in the tire well, i figured it helps vent the bat, so i looked around and found a hole to push it into.

you guys talk about venting batteries. should i change mine out?

Way to contribute to a dead thread, jackass!

:p @ loud

thanks, yea i see that now, i didn't dig it up though, i just saw it in the recent threads, and not being on for a couple of days thought somebody was bringing up the same sh!t we always have to talk about.

i bought my car used. based on how it looks, i doubt the battery is stock (looks kind of new and doesn't say ford or lincoln anywhere on it). there was a rubber snout sitting around in the tire well, i figured it helps vent the bat, so i looked around and found a hole to push it into.

you guys talk about venting batteries. should i change mine out?

Could you take a picture of yours and post it? It may yet be the correct one if there was a place to plug the vent tube into.

thanks, yea i see that now, i didn't dig it up though, i just saw it in the recent threads, and not being on for a couple of days thought somebody was bringing up the same sh!t we always have to talk about.

I figured you didn't realize how old it was, hence I used the word "contribute". It was on my word of the day calendar. :lol:

I bought one to put in my Camaro a couple years ago when the price was $99 for a red top. I don't think I'll do it again with what they list for these days.

at least im not the only one answering 5 year old questions :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.
Back