Bank 1, Bank 2 confusion

Rivers

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Yes, I searched. Made me more confused.

Are Bank 1 and the left bank the same side of the car?

Got the P0420 code in August. I took it to ford and got the "left bank cat. converter" replaced.
Got the P0420 code again, took it to Ford and now they're saying the bank 1 catalytic converter/Driver side needs to be replaced. It would make sense to me that the driver side is the left bank, but from a glance of the underside the one they replaced is the passenger side.. Can somebody answer my question? :confused:

Left and right banks are from looking at the front of the motor. Therefore Bank one is the left side(Passenger) and Bank two is the right side (Drivers side)

Took me a little while after comparing my hands to the L on the keyboard to determine left and right lol :D

Ok thanks, I knew which side bank 1 was, but I didn't know if that was synonymous with "left bank." They say it's the other side, but I don't see how considering bank 1 = left bank and it's throwing the same code that it did before.

I think LS's have 2 cats on each side... Did they replace them both on that side?

Im not sure how wellyour local emissions laws are enforced but for the price of cats I would buy an 02 simulator or a SCT scanner can nullify that code too I believe. Cut em out if they rattle.

If you search my name and catalytic converter, I posted a link of the cats that I bought.. I would get them and have an independent shop weld them in.. Ford is wayy overpriced

Ah well then that throws a bigger bone into the dilema...

I believe the rear 02s are of a wideband nature vs the front short band and are intolerant of excessive oil/grease/fuel. I run a wideband to tune 2strokes and they do not last long in there. Never really heard of a bad aftercat 02 sensor though. I guess a good test if you can do it yourself would be to swap 02's from the left to the right side and see if they code transfers.

I've only gotten one cat replaced, now the other side is supposedly gone bad, but it's throwing the same code. And I'm in California, so the emissions thing is very strict, I don't think I can even buy one of the cheaper catalytic converters online and have another shop install it. Luckily, I don't have to get my car smogged again until next year =]

Well that sucks.. I don't think the same code applies to both but I don't have ShopKey open to tell you for sure.. Why don't you stop at advance auto and get the codes ran for free to make sure they are screwing you..

Well I was kinda looking on google to be sure and about half the results say the left bank is the drivers side (Like looking from the rear of the engine), which is contrary to what I thought, and half say its the pass side as I believed. Ford tech manual to be sure anyone?

well that talks about bank1 and bank2 which we are positive about but nothing about "Left" or "Right" I guess. Im sticking with as looking at the motor.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. That means I need a the catalytic converter for the other side, as opposed to the side I already paid for, which would still be under warranty.. I'm going to take it to Napa or something tomorrow and have them scan it.. (No advance auto around here).

Are Bank 1 and the left bank the same side of the car?

Got the P0420 code in August. I took it to ford and got the "left bank cat. converter" replaced.
Got the P0420 code again, took it to Ford and now they're saying the bank 1 catalytic converter/Driver side needs to be replaced. It would make sense to me that the driver side is the left bank, but from a glance of the underside the one they replaced is the passenger side.. Can somebody answer my question? :confused:

Yeah i looked because I didnt believe it and the left side is the drivers side. (Slaps self for giving bad info)

To me after reading your story it sounds to me like whoever the mechanic in the dealership was that made the repair made the same mistake and replaced the passenger side or maybe just wrote it down as the left side. (which would be the "Right", contrary to logic) cat.

A p0430 is a right bank code and a p0420 is a left bank code.
Bank One is Pass Side and Two is Driverside. If they want to replace the driversside it should have a p0430 to start I would think

If you had a p0420 Code to start with it would make sense the passenger side was replaced then.

I hear that...

Left and right on a car are taken sitting in the driver's seat. But numbering the cylinders is brand sensitive. Ford counts from the front looking back at the firewall and 1,2,3,4 are on the passenger side. 5,6,7,8 are going back to the driver's seat on the driver's side. (chibbie counts back and forth crosswise starting from the driver's side at the radiator.)

KS

Thanks. I know that may have seemed like a dumb question, but it was just something I couldn't figure out.

I figured out the whole situation.. Got the P0420 (Bank 1) code in August, but for some reason Ford replaced the drivers side (Bank 2) catalytic converter. Same code this time and now they want to replace the passenger side catalytic converter... Times like these I wish I didn't live in California..

Wonder why they replaced the wrong cat?

California! (Shudders) I dont think any of my vehicles would be legal in that state, well maybe the LS till the CEL comes on. lol but you gotta deal with it I guess, never have 3 feet of snow on yours cars. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back