Banging around in the intake maybe????

Larry85326

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Today I drove my 2001LS V8 no problems. Side streets ran great lots of power. Jumped on the hiway took it up to 80were it likes to run at had lots of power still pulled in to do some shopping. All this time nothing wrong felt like everyday driving. No noise under the hood. It ran great. Until I got back it to start it up and this loud banging from what sounds like the intake and press the gas, before it stalled out like it was backfiring three the intake. Youtubed a couple videos and said it may be the EGR or the DPFE sensor, so I replaced both of them and it kinda cleared it up but still it's clunking banging under the intake. Any guesses on what it can be?the car has always ran super nice and always started. I can't afford to be with out this car it's my daily driver and I sure cat afford a new car so it's fixed this or find a new job it's a 2001LS Base V8 with 155,000miles always been a good runner please help

If you don't have a code scanner... find someone who does... and see what codes come up when they plug it in.

That might be the best way to start diagnosing the problem.

Make sure the plastic end cap at the front of the manifold isn't cracked.

Fist code is 0174 lean bank 2 second code is p0300 multi misfire this code is p1405 Diff press feedback send up stream hose off/plugged these are the only codes to come up. The last one p1405 is new to me I'm looking it up to see if I can find something on it but no luck. If you can help I would love it. It's near 100 degrees outside so I don't stay out to long to work on it. Thank you again for any and all help.

Or hopefully it's just something with the EGR system. If the fuel system is running lean on the drivers side... that could cause a backfire in the intake.

Maybe there's an issue with the wiring to the DPFE sensor... since you already replaced the sensor.

Last edited:
I wonder if a camshaft jumped time?
On to the bonus round Sport LS timing chain broke .I have one here but can I put it over the to cam some how with out taking the front end apart . Thank you for guidance,but please next time guess cheap and easy lol I'm going to go out again and think if I can get this new chain on with out pulling everything . Thank you all again

Does any one have a blown up view of the front half of a 1st gen 3.9 I had one but seems to be lost at this moment . It's looking like I'll need to pull everything apart just to replace the chain. Also has anyone ever done this .can you tell me what joys and wonders I'm going to have? Thank you all again I wouldn't even know what I would do with out all the help from you.

Thank you ajv8 for the wealth of knowledge with this book , but i do have question about the v6 and v8 camshaft install and timing. Are they both the same or is there a diffrence in how they are completed from v6 to v8? Again thank you for the booklet it has proven to be good reading and knowledge.

In the booklet ajv8 sent me it only shows the v6 not the v8 assembly. Im feeling kinda stupid here im reading other post and they make it look so easy. I have to say i do envy anybody who owns a LS Lincoln. These cars are a labor of love. I do love mine and so bad would love to keep it but the time and money to keep them running is like a new found wife.

I couldn't get AJ's file to download.

I suggest going to Ebay, and looking for the 2002 LS repair manual set. Buy them if you plan on keeping your LS.

In truth... if you are only replacing the tensioner... that would be a bad idea. The tensioner failing... is a sign that other parts are worn... and you will be back in the engine again to replace more parts.

As the tensioner wears (and fails) it causes wear on the chains and sprokets.

In my opinion... you should (as the minimum) replace BOTH secondary chains... and BOTH tensioners... and check the camshaft gears for wear.

Here is something I found through a search. This member did everything.

In the booklet ajv8 sent me it only shows the v6 not the v8 assembly. Im feeling kinda stupid here im reading other post and they make it look so easy. I have to say i do envy anybody who owns a LS Lincoln. These cars are a labor of love. I do love mine and so bad would love to keep it but the time and money to keep them running is like a new found wife.
the v8 is the first section until page 90 or so

I suggest going to Ebay, and looking for the 2002 LS repair manual set. Buy them if you plan on keeping your LS.

In truth... if you are only replacing the tensioner... that would be a bad idea. The tensioner failing... is a sign that other parts are worn... and you will be back in the engine again to replace more parts.

In my opinion... you should (as the minimum) replace BOTH secondary chains... and BOTH tensioners... and check the camshaft gears for wear.

the chains almost never wear out. the only way to replace the secondary chain without doing the rest is cutting it and using a sketchy quick fit chain.

the pads fall off the secondary tensioner jamming the chain and jumping time or sometimes they get stuck in between the cam and break the whole head.

2762DEA1-A0DB-4952-A254-CFF07C7A98BB.png

Last edited:

funny you send me this post i was just reading it. I did have the thought to just monkey up a chain to slip in and hope but I cant afford to be back here in amonth or so . I rather do it right and be done with it .This is not a job for the faint at heart. I said it before and say it again I do evey you guys who can pour all your love in to thes wonderful machines. I do love mine, but im afraid that Im going to have to fix it and then part ways with it. Maybe some time later I can own one again but as of now its the car or I eat ,and frankly I kinda like to eat. But in the end I must do it right so the next person dont have to pour all their lunch money in to it.Even thought Ill be selling it as soon as i get it back to running again i must do i9t right.

Members online

No members online now.
Back