Ball Joint Replacement Cost

BradGroves

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm away from home at college and the front of my Mark decided to collapse today. Just a bang and I knew it was the control arms. I knew that they needed to be replaced but I was waiting it out for Summer when I could do it at my house. Any idea what the local mechanic will charge for this job? They'll have to replace both control arms on both sides right? because the ball joints are attached

you do not have to do both if you can't/don't want to.
you can just replace just the ball joint if the control arm is undamaged. they press in and out. a competent mechanic should be able to do that.

no idea on price. i do all my own work.

sucks when that happens though. i keep on top of my car cuz i don't want it stranding me at school.

you do not have to do both if you can't/don't want to.
you can just replace just the ball joint if the control arm is undamaged. they press in and out. a competent mechanic should be able to do that.

no idea on price. i do all my own work.

sucks when that happens though. i keep on top of my car cuz i don't want it stranding me at school.

Only the lower ball joint can be pressed out and replaced; the upper ball joint is only available as a complete upper control arm w/joint assembly.

Lowers can be had for about $10 from Rockauto, uppers about $45.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/lincoln-mark-viii/ball-joints/

Only the lower ball joint can be pressed out and replaced; the upper ball joint is only available as a complete upper control arm w/joint assembly.

Lowers can be had for about $10 from Rockauto, uppers about $45.

what he said

I know, I was planning on doing the work myself this coming summer. I knew it needed to be replaced. Well that's good news because it was the lower ball joint on one side.

You are close to a few LVC members. Geno and DLF comes to mind.

I was going to offer, but if it's already broke, then he'd have to have it towed, and that's not going to work.

Members online

Back