Ball joint change

fudge12

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello all, just another question on the mysterious LS. I took off the entire steering knuckle in about 2 hours. Now I'm trying to get the ABS sensor off so the mechanic shop can press out the ball joint and put in the new one. Does anyone have any clue on how to get the darn thing off?:confused: I took out the four surrounding bolts and nothing. Any hints or tricks I could use here? Thanks in advance. Here are some pics of what I have done so far.

IMAG0106.jpg

IMAG0107.jpg

please tell me the only thing holding up that car is not that scissor jack

If that is the front the ABS is integral to the hub. It is sold as an assembly.

Other than the glaring safety problems (buy a good set of jack stands and a quality jack ASAP)...
Remove the hum from the knuckle. Just a few bolts (3? 4?) that come in from the back. Might be frozen up. Hub might be frozen to the knuckle.

Lol there is another jack holding up the car that is out of the angle of the camera. The tire is only there just in case the jack fails.

But anyway, the abs sensor can't be unmounted from the knuckle? How do others change their ball joints with it in the way?:confused:

Lol there is another jack holding up the car that is out of the angle of the camera. The tire is only there just in case the jack fails.

But anyway, the abs sensor can't be unmounted from the knuckle? How do others change their ball joints with it in the way?:confused:

By removing the hub?

Ah of course. Sorry, it's my first time disassembling this part of the car. Any special way of getting the hub off?

Thanks. The car is back together and all is in good shape, no more squeak. During the install i did manage to make a small tear in the boot :mad: but hopefully it'll last till January and i'll get it done by a real mechanic. Here are some pics of the old ball joint and car:

Old ball joint:
IMAG0113.jpg

New ball joint:
IMAG0109.jpg

Car back together:
IMAG0119.jpg

Kudos for tearing into that thing like you did. Job well done, looks like.

Sorry to hear you tore the boot on the new one, like you said, should last a bit.

It happens :: double face palm.

Ball joint

Where did you buy the Ball Joint? did you pressed it or have some shop pressed it for you? Good job by the way :) weblinks, Thanks.

Im late but, im pretty sure my abs sensor came out by pushing a shiny silver clip down, and pulling the sensor out

I'm late but your pictures are still gargantuan in nature.

Really though, good work on tackling that. The first of anything is always the toughest.

Sorry to hear you tore the boot on the new one, like you said, should last a bit.

Thanks :) Yep, but it's working fine as it is. Hopefully next summer I'll do it again. Word of warning when doing the ball joints, make sure all your nuts are securely attached to the bolts! After a couple weeks of replacing the ball joints, the nut was 2 threads short of falling out. Specifically the ball joint nut that holds onto the steering knuckle Symptoms were slipping tires and steering wheel returning with an angle.

Ben's LS said:
What color is your car?
It's green. It shows up differently in pictures for some weird reason.

col batitong said:
Where did you buy the Ball Joint? did you pressed it or have some shop pressed it for you? Good job by the way weblinks, Thanks
I bought the ball joint on ebay for $40. I took it to the shop to have it pressed for another $40.

dNyce LS said:
Im late but, im pretty sure my abs sensor came out by pushing a shiny silver clip down, and pulling the sensor out
Yeah you're a tad bit late, probably would've saved me a couple dollars on pressing the old ball joint out. But hey, other users will benefit :). The mechanic had a hard time getting out. He just sprayed it with penetrating oil and tapped it out the next morning.

jmtiseo said:

Really though, good work on tackling that. The first of anything is always the toughest.
Indeed, first time I've ever done anything like this before. Thanks :)

Thanks :) Yep, but it's working fine as it is. Hopefully next summer I'll do it again. Word of warning when doing the ball joints, make sure all your nuts are securely attached to the bolts! After a couple weeks of replacing the ball joints, the nut was 2 threads short of falling out. Specifically the ball joint nut that holds onto the steering knuckle Symptoms were slipping tires and steering wheel returning with an angle.

Ben's LS said:
What color is your car?
It's green. It shows up differently in pictures for some weird reason.

col batitong said:
Where did you buy the Ball Joint? did you pressed it or have some shop pressed it for you? Good job by the way weblinks, Thanks
I bought the ball joint on ebay for $40. I took it to the shop to have it pressed for another $40.

dNyce LS said:
Yeah you're a tad bit late, probably would've saved me a couple dollars on pressing the old ball joint out. But hey, other users will benefit :). The mechanic had a hard time getting out. He just sprayed it with penetrating oil and tapped it out the next morning.

jmtiseo said:

Indeed, first time I've ever done anything like this before. Thanks :)

Members online

Back