Ball joint and another problem, and yes I already searched

DrJsl2008

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've already done the searching on here, so please do not tell me to do that. The problem is, I'm not sure if it is the ball joint itself or another problem, the nut underneath keeps coming loose. What is most likely the problem?

On to another problem, it's been a great week with the car. There is a very loud noise coming from the driver's side rear, sounds like it's around the wheel. It's a knocking sound, and gets faster with speed. It does not do this when under acceleration or hard braking. We were thinking CV joint, sound about right? any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance guys, need to fix this stuff soon.

Is there supposed to be a cotter pin on the ball joint?
There is no CV joint, but it could be wheel bearings.

Is there supposed to be a cotter pin on the ball joint?
There is no CV joint, but it could be wheel bearings.

The CV joint was just an idea thrown out by my father. Now that I think of it the wheel bearing could definitely be it. Would the knocking stop under acceleration if it were the wheel bearing though? As far as the ball joint, I have no idea. All I can see is that the nut keeps coming loose on the one side, and not the other.

If the nut on the ball joint has notches in it, that would be for a cotter pin. I have not looked at them on the LS recently enough to remember if that is the case.

The wheel bearings could stop making noise under different loads. It could be other suspension parts, so it would be a good idea to visually check all of the bushings and moving parts too.

Check your rear sway bar end links but I would also check the wheel bearings. Usually there is a roaring noise associated with wheel bearings going bad.

No cotter pin on the LS joints.

It is a nylon locknut.

I'd recommend just ordering a new ball joint nut from the dealer... should be like 6 bux per bag of two IIRC.

the early first gens had a recall for incorrectly torqued ball joint nuts backing out.

No cotter pin on the LS joints.

It is a nylon locknut.

I'd recommend just ordering a new ball joint nut from the dealer... should be like 6 bux per bag of two IIRC.

the early first gens had a recall for incorrectly torqued ball joint nuts backing out.

If that's right then this just made my night. Do you have any idea what it should be torqued to?

Members online

No members online now.
Back