Bad Timing Chain Tensioner

nghtshd88

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Have bad a small rattle from the drive side valve cover that just developed into a flutter/slapping noise around 2k rpm.. can only assume its the timing chain tensioner. 1k miles ago when I had the cover off I checked and the chain was tight no missing plastic have no misfires nothing..

Ive never had to replace these do the lower ones also go as fast and cause a similar noise? (I see they are also plastic..Does it have to be a motor craft replacement? Really dont want to have to take the whole timing cover off in the middle winter. The left valve cover is enough if a pain..

TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER KIT Fits LINCOLN LS V8 2000-2006 UPPER SECONDARY KIT | eBay

For 02-05 Ford Thunderbird / 01-06 Lincoln LS 3.9L Timing Chain & Water Pump Set | eBay

Last edited:
I bought the kit from the first link. Was going to replace the valve cover gaskets , because my car is gen 1 and even with very low miles the rubber rings were leaking small amount of oil in the plug wells. While doing that i decided to also replace the tensioners , because mine was the first design which were prone to cracking and despite the low miles they were 22 years old. So, yes those work quite fine you can go and buy with confidence :) They are on my car for over 5K kilometers now.

tsubaki from ebay is what is on my car. had to do a 4.3 aston with the new design that stayed collapsed for some reason.

the bottom ones can blow out the o-ring and rattle like a lot of the later fords. new design has a ratchet to stop it

Members online

No members online now.
Back