Bad run of luck

pragmatic

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well in May I will have had the LS for 14 years and 160,000 miles (I purchase it used). Not sure I will make it there. During the summer the rear bearing started getting really loud. I dreaded the job but ordered a new bearing and proceeded to remove the rear knuckle and press the bearing out. The bearing was a bear to replace but by Fall the car was ready to go. Well almost ready to go. The battery had died from sitting and was not coming back. After 17 years (its the original) and over 190,000 miles I can't complain, it did start the car last winter when it was -30F. I purchased a new battery and started using the car.

The new bearing was quiet and I didn't have any problems. After one week the rear CV joint let go 15 miles from home (don't think I damaged it getting the knuckle out but who knows). Had the car towed home and the flatbed operator said there was no parking brake (funny it was working when I left the car by the side of the road). So I changed the axle and proceeded to install a new brake cable (the old one had rusted through and snapped).

After cutting steel under the rear seat bottom to get the cable in I thought I was set to go. Took it for test drive and I had no heat. Checked the cooling system and found the lower radiator clamp had broken. Replaced it and bleed the system. I'm getting heat on the passenger side only. So I bled it again. same result.

Tonight (a week after completing the parking brake) I was going on a short trip and 10 miles from home the engine died. It would immediately restart but if run under 4000 rpm would cut out and miss. I drove home keeping it in low gears (its a MT) an restarting while rolling any time it cut out. As I got home the check engine light came on (big surprise).

So in he last three months (since completing the rear bearing) I've driven ~400 miles and the car has only worked maybe a week. Yes its my second car but it is the main winter and highway vehicle.

Tomorrow I'll see what's failed and update the list.

If you owned your LS for most of the 160k... and are just now starting to have problems,,, then consider yourself lucky. Most LS's will have normal maintenance before this.

Plan on putting roughtly a grand into the cooling system,,, and another grand into other maintenance. Then enjoy for another 100k or so if the engine has has proper oil changes.

I changed the transmissions 1.1 quarts of Mercon to Pennzoil Sychromesh fluid at 70,000 but never did the next change. As far as the cooling system goes that was changed out 3 or so years ago (all but the radiator).

Members online

Back