Bad differential, axle/halfshaft, or driveshaft? '98 LSC

smiddy434

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Rear wheels are spinning freely, but not together. No acceleration...was being dumb and drove around on 4 bad bags for about 2 months. Heavy rear end vibrations at highway speeds until the thing just crapped out on me. Now I get no acceleration/movement when gassing, just something free-spinning underneath. Looked at it today and the rear wheels do not spin together. The rear-passenger wheel spins both axles, but the rear-driver moves by itself (while squeaking).

The driveshaft & u-joint still looks in-tact & does not have excessive wiggle. Would say the diff is bad, but the rear-passenger wheel still moves both axles... it's gotta be that rear-driverside halfshaft, right? But should the differential still spin at least one wheel when I gas?

Also, 2 instances when I got stuck on a speed bump (flat bags) & got the heaviest people I could find to sit & bounce on the trunk for more traction. Think that mightve cracked some linkage around the axles? haha

Unless your rear diff has a posi track setup, it's normal for the passenger side wheel to spin faster than the drivers side does.

You may have a bad bearing in the case, or out at the end of the axle shaft... or maybe a CV shaft came apart.

Diff fluid may be low, so that would cause premature wear on the gear teeth.

Last edited:
Unless your rear diff has a posi track setup, it's normal for the passenger side wheel to spin faster than the drivers side does.

You may have a bad bearing in the case, or out at the end of the axle shaft... or maybe a CV shaft came apart.

Diff fluid may be low, so that would cause premature wear on the gear teeth.
Thanks for the reply, took the driverside CV axle out and it was definitely worn down. Pretty sure that fixed the problem but I now I have a fuel pump issue haha. Should be up & running today though.

Also I'm using the trunk shortcut to access the fuel pump. Step by step guide is attached

Attachments

• fuelPumpAccessCover.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 69

Members online

No members online now.
Back