Bad caliper?

LowLincoln

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I ordered OEM rotors and pads for the front off of Rockauto. Decided to work on the car today and everything went on smoothly.

I go for a test drive for a couple of miles and the passenger side begins to smoke. :(

I jack up the car and wheel barely moves freely. Re-installed new pads and put all back together carefully to be sure I didn't miss anything. Pushed piston back into caliper again and made sure the "slider pins" were not seized.

This time I didn't let the car back onto the ground. Made sure wheel turned freely and did. I start up the car, pump the brakes a few more time, go back around to check the wheel and sucker is tough to move again.

I was forced to use the old brake pad on the inside and now all is "better". However, that wheel still doesn't turn as freely as the driver side.

What do you guys think?

sticking caliper piston.
does the caliper have a torn boot? if dirt/water/rust gets in there, they will stick. especially after you compress the pistons back in to install new pads.

Or a hose,

Jack the front up and remove the wheels, open the bleeder screw and then try to turn the rotor, if it frees up it's the hose (or higher in the system) if it remains locked down, change the caliper

sticking caliper piston.
does the caliper have a torn boot? if dirt/water/rust gets in there, they will stick. especially after you compress the pistons back in to install new pads.

That sounds like it could be it then. On the other hand, the boot looked fine and there was no dirt anywhere to be seen - just like how it should on a Florida car :shifty:

Or a hose,

Jack the front up and remove the wheels, open the bleeder screw and then try to turn the rotor, if it frees up it's the hose (or higher in the system) if it remains locked down, change the caliper

I actually did that. Even though some fluid came out of the bleeder valve, the piston was still clamping down pretty good.

I guess I will have to replace. Car has 115k anyway :runaway:

Now that you've decided to replace the caliper, remove the banjo bolt (hose to caliper) and see if the rotor spins freely

I can send you a caliper rebuild kit (new square cut seal and dust boot) for a few bucks, or you can buy a NEW caliper for about $100. I strongly suggest you not even waste your time with a "reman". Most of the time I find that those haven't actually been rebuilt, just cleaned and resold

yes. but what do you have in mind?
factory replacement? or something better?

Members online

Back