Bad Air Ride Relay??

Epwillis

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Well got off highway on my way home after work and check air ride light came on, got home and restarted car vent opened and no pump on, I just put a new pump on less then a month ago.

If a high sensor pops off will the car vent down?

Im at a loss is there a way to swap the abs and air ride relays, without taking bumper off?

If a sensor pope off you usually get an instant check air ride as one will be way out of spec. The system is a little smart that way.

You can remove the ABS sensor by taking off the driver side marker. Its not really easy, but its easer than taking off the wheel well liner or bumper.

removing the front bumper is not too bad
;)

This is true I gave you a detailed description of how to do it in your grille post:p

Paint is still newer would rather not crack it.

Should be able to get access to relay with removing wheel well.

Love my air ride just hate the problems:shifty:

Was a warm day today I'm also thinking that water may have got in the vent solenoid, with all the snow melting around here.

I had the ball socket break off on my upper control arm. The sensor was dangling and made the shock go to max inflation mode.
The system shut off like it was designed to do, but my front right was raised up like a 4 wheeler.

indeed, without your 'how-to' I probably would not have attempted it...THANKS

Well this could be a problem......

2013-03-06_11-32-36_631_zpsdc4cd1f6.jpg

2013-03-06_11-50-29_977_zpsfef78c69.jpg

Replaced it and it pumped right up:D:D

Yep, pretty easy job it didn't break until I started to remove the screws, although the case was split when I took it off so I know it was the problem.

I had two replacement relays I tried and the first one I tried kicked the pump on instantly, the air ride switch was off so I unplugged real fast. I'm guessing that that relay is bad?

Mine went bad and my friend across the street had one on his Continental he wasn't using because he did a coil conversion. That saved me some bucks because those things are pretty spendy.

FYI...next time you're in the junkyard, check out late 90s early 2000s Eddie Bauer Expeditions and Navis. If you remove the top of the dash, there's a relay there for the air ride on those things.

indeed, without your 'how-to' I probably would not have attempted it...THANKS

Could you share the how to or provide a link?? I have two from my jyard outings but I am not sure I did it the most efficient way. Planning on having one of them rehabbed and when I get my headlamps fixed. I will need a good "how to". My air ride is working great now...in large part from folks on this forum!
Thanks,
Scott

Could you share the how to or provide a link?? I have two from my jyard outings but I am not sure I did it the most efficient way. Planning on having one of them rehabbed and when I get my headlamps fixed. I will need a good "how to". My air ride is working great now...in large part from folks on this forum!
Thanks,
Scott

I'm guessing your talking about removing the front facsia, here's the how to I gave him:

Removal: I believe there is 4-5 screws you need to remove in each wheel well( 3 on the inner side and 2 on the bottom, then there are 4 push pins along the bottom of the core support, along with one hidden in the square holes in the bottom of the bumper(you will see the rivet head on the bottom of the bumper holding a "Z" bracket on which is held in by a push pin), then you need to take out your corner marker lights, then the eyebrow, 3 torx screws on top of the grille to be taken out and slide the clips off or take the bracket out completely by the two 10mm bolts on the header panel, and then there are 4 more nuts on the inside of the bumper in the corner marker holes, should be a 11mm? then its the task of getting the tabs to release under the headlights by pushing in and up on the bumper under each headlight light and the bumper should come off. Then I believe there are 7 screws holding the grille to the bumper along the bottom and one on each side.

Installation of bumper: reverse removal process

Hate to bump,

My air ride compressor was running non stop and the switch would not turn it off.
Happened to have a spare relay sitting around, did a swap and that fixed it.
My old relay had moisture inside at the connectors, replaced it and added dielectric grease.

...replaced it and added dielectric grease.

Careful with dielectric grease. NEVER get it on the actual contacts. Its designed for very high voltage applications. Its does not conduct electricity, its an insulator. So if you get it on the contacts of low voltage stuff it can easily cause voltage issues.

Members online

Back