Backup Camera Help (again)

txhookem

LVC Member
Reaction score
2002 Lincoln LS here. Got this PYLE PLDNAND621 head unit and the backup camera acts on a 12V+ trigger. To connect the camera you have a power plug with +/- wires and a combo wire with the camera 12V+ trigger and the RCA plug. There is no camera override option. The camera reigns supreme on this unit. So far there is only one way I get this thing working so far. I'm using the right reverse light with the power for the camera hooked into the black/red wire and the remote signal wire into the other. I located the REM and found there are 2 white/black wires. Tried using each and got nothing on either.

Hooked up like it is now, the camera stays on when in any other gear except reverse. So it is obviously backwards. Any help on and old and tired problem would be greatly appreciated. There is a similar thread where a guy was installing an app radio 2 camera. I'm actually replacing an app radio 2, I just never installed the camera on that thing. I thought that was funny. Thanks in advance.

Okay. That is never going to work. There is no switched +12V signal at the reverse lights. Instead, +12V is always on at the bulbs (when the car is awake), and ground is switched on and off at the bulbs to turn the bulbs on and off.

You have two reasonable choices.
1. Use a relay. Wire the two coil terminals to the two bulb terminals. Wire one contact to +12V (the positive wire at the bulb will do), and the other contact to the camera power wire and the Pyle reverse trigger wire. Ground the camera ground wire.

2. Connect camera power wire and the Pyle reverse trigger wire to the positive reverse signal at the auto-dim rear view mirror. This should be the third wire, white /w blue strip. Ground the camera ground. The reverse signal for the mirror does come out of the REM, if you want to tap it there. (With any luck, it'll be the only white wire with blue stripe back there.)

Okay. So I got a little antsy and and decided to run the camera through a switch before I got your reply. Now I can switch it on whenever I want. I ran the camera power to the ACC and GRND. The switch works just fine, minus the fact I have to physically switch it on anytime I want to use it. The 12V+ trigger is jumped through the switch to the ACC wire was well. So that is how that works for now. But that doesn't stop me from doing what you suggest.

I just want to make sure I'm looking for the correct wire at the REM before I pull it out again. Am I supposed to be looking for a white/blue wire coming out of the REM or a white/black wire?

I ask this because I already went through this and found two white/black wires at the REM based on your suggestion from this post:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?87442-Help!-BackUp-camera-issues&p=2037263946&viewfull=1#post2037263946

I'll double check to make sure the wire color didn't change between generations.

I usually dont recommend wiring back up cameras up to ACC unless you want to be able to keep an eye on something that your are towing...

reason being, than now the camera is on all the time the car is on instead of the few seconds anytime the car is backing up, this may severely shorten the life of the camera, if it is a good quality camera, it may be fine, if it is a cheaper camera, it may not last too long at all.

Isn't that what the switch is for?

I mis-read then, I though the switch was just triggering the HU trigger and the camera was hooked to accessory. if the switch is powering both, that would be fine. man that would drive me crazy, id have to get that hooked up automatically right away lol

Thanks for that. I'll have to get back in there on the weekend. That explains why the white/black wires at the REM didn't work. I did see a white/blue wire while in there this past weekend. To top things off the RCA wire for the camera disconnected when I pushed the head unit back in. So I've got some more fun times ahead. I'll let you guys know the results. Thank you all for all of the responses.

Members online

No members online now.
Back