Back in the game. Project LS1 V8

Hawk

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 2000 V8 with 112,000km or 69,000miles a couple days ago. Owner was asking $3k. It has a couple minor issues that wont be hard for me to fix like driver door handle doesn't open from the inside, needs new brake pads, rear view mirror glass falls off and hangs from a wire, needs tune up, TLC etc.

When I went to look at the vehicle i noticed there was no oil in it. I took it for a test drive and didnt feel any shifting issues or misfires. I thought okay woman driver probably just is stupid n doesnt maintain her car because it was dirty n seemed neglected. Im thinking no problem i can clean it up.

I made her an offer she disagreed, went back n forth a cpl times and ended up scoring it for a low price. Added about 1.5 quartz of oil and drove it home.

Next morning i noticed there was quite amount of oil on the cement below, checked the oil and again the dipstick looked dry.

My question is what do you suspect could be leaking so bad? Oil pan has a bunch of drips on it. (going to replace the gasket) What else? I know the VCG's are notorious for leaks but dont think thats it.

Here are some pics of the car when I went to check it out.
LS-PS-1.jpg

20160616_210029.jpg

Her first bath
20160617_153254.jpg

20160617_153244_1.jpg

Now to the problems
DSC06512.jpg

DSC06513.jpg

DSC06516.jpg

DSC06517.jpg

DSC06520.jpg

DSC06521.jpg

DSC06528.jpg

DSC06531.jpg

DSC06532.jpg

DSC06535.jpg

DSC06498.jpg

DSC06499.jpg

DSC06500.jpg

DSC06502.jpg

DSC06503.jpg

DSC06504.jpg

DSC06506.jpg

DSC06508.jpg

DSC06509.jpg

Well, it look like that off-brand oil filter is leaking. I'd start there.

Not bad thought, at least is undercoated now!

Nice color LS for sure, good luck with it Hawk, like Joe says have a look at the filter as the possible culprit, I'd also have a look at the pan gasket.

Maybe even think about bringing it to a place to have the underneath power washed.

I love that color.

Maybe those two sensors that thread into the oil cooler housing as well. (in an effort to not repeat what the others have already suggested).

either power wash off the bottom or have it done, and then the next day, you should be able to tell where the oil is actually coming from, but as starters, since wind blows stuff toward the back, the front most oil covered thing would be the first place I would look at.

... but as starters, since wind blows stuff toward the back, the front most oil covered thing would be the first place I would look at.

This is why I picked out the oil filter. However, it could be that the oil came from above or that it was just from changing the filter.
Knowing if the oil leaks while it is sitting, or only while it is running would also help to narrow down where to look. In any event, the oil will have to be cleaned off of the engine to figure it out.

@Joegr: Will be picking the filter up today along with the oil pan gasket. I also noticed the VCG's are leaking more than I originally suspected. I plan to replace them along with new coils, plugs, PCV valve, cabin air filter (error lights on). Its going to be a cpl weeks before I can do all that. Im going to be placing an order soon, then I have to wait roughly 2 weeks for shipping.

@BigRigLS: Thanks, I appreciate it. Would like to power wash it but cant at the moment. I only had insurance on it for the day, have it parked in the underground of my condo and cannot do it there for obvious reasons. I'll have to think of something in the meantime. My plan is to get everything sorted out first, then put her on the road.

@DeviLSh: Thanks. Wasn't sure if I liked it or not but now its starting to grow on me . I have yet to clay bar, polish, glaze, wax it. I'll check around some more later, been pretty busy these past few days.

@FDR: Its possible but now im starting to believe the VCG's are a main contributing factor to the leak. We'll see how it goes.

@1LoudLS: Makes sense, I'll see what I can find.

Knowing if the oil leaks while it is sitting, or only while it is running would also help to narrow down where to look.

How about leaking form the front, running around on the lower pan gasket, when running (or just warm, not sure), in cold weather? Summer weather hit about the same time I put UV dye in and the leak stopped

Members online

No members online now.
Back