Axle Nut Torque Specs - 221 or 303 lb-ft?

M4rk

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Which one is it?

s6x~us~en~file=n0001706.gif~gen~ref.gif

From: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x55004.htm~gen~ref.htm

OR

s6x~us~en~file=n0042092.gif~gen~ref.gif

From: http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x42004.htm~gen~ref.htm

Tighten up to 221 and if you feel like it's not tight enough, bump it up more.

I would say 221 lb-ft! spec is 188 to 254 so for sure 221 is correct.

I hate to revive a old thread, but does anybody else have any new data or advise? I have to replace the real wheel bearings and notice the torque discrepancy. I have a 2002 LS if it makes a difference.

The above was from the 2006 shop manual. The 2002 manual has both values as well.

My 2005 Shop Manual CD shows the same, however, I noticed that the P/N's for the retaining nut in each picture are different. The nut in the half shaft removal and installation section with the 221 lb-ft is 4B423 (Rear axle wheel hub retainer). The nut in the rear suspension exploded view section with the 302 lb-ft (yes, my manual has 302, not 303 lb-ft) is 4B477 (Axle shaft retaining nut). Quite possible that there may be differences in the size of the two different nuts. Another option would be to also look at the Thunderbird and Jaguar shop manuals to see what they show.

And can someone confirm that it needs a 32mm or 36 mm socket?

Last edited:
I just did a rough measurement with the wheel still on of 1.390" which works out to 35.3mm which is definitely not a 32mm. Interesting nut. Doesn't have an additional sleeve and cotter pin but sleeves built in it?

I just did a rough measurement with the wheel still on of 1.390" which works out to 35.3mm which is definitely not a 32mm. Interesting nut. Doesn't have an additional sleeve and cotter pin but sleeves built in it?
Right, I also did a measurement that gave me 36 but read a different thread that said 32mm. Not sure if there is a difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2, I have Gen 2

36mm for mine also, Gen 1, 2002. Very pricey nut $15 a piece at local Ford dealer. The old nut I took off last year was several thin nuts stacked together wrapped in a metal cage. The new nut was all metal, I guess a redesign or something.

What should I torque my axle nut at on my 2000Lsv8.
221 or 302 lb-ft?
36mm nut

I know its probably the same value for 2000-06 since the suspention is pretty much the same but just want to be sure
Thanks

on jaguars it’s always been 300nm or 221 lb/ft

slide hammer hub puller will get it out. if you don’t have an air chisel just cut the race that’s stuck to the hub side in half

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back