Axle nut on back order from Ford, aftermarket alternatives?

I've had luck using a screwdriver to apply outward pressure against a loosely spinning nut while using the wrench to spin it in the past. Not easy, but doable.

No, but there was a thread where a machinist was selling them. A couple people bought them. It was the setup where you welded the mount to the upper k-frame, instead of having the lower mount bar that bolted into the frame. It'd take some digging to find.

Hey Kumba---

Do you have a source for the 'swap' mounts or, alternatively, a dimensioned drawing? It is a project for the future.

KS

No, but there was a thread where a machinist was selling them. A couple people bought them. It was the setup where you welded the mount to the upper k-frame, instead of having the lower mount bar that bolted into the frame. It'd take some digging to find.

Just did the digging in my "diff research" desktop folder. I think this is the thread where Performance Driven was selling them:

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...n-1-and-Gen-2-8-8-swap-brackets-available-now

Here is a pic from the guy's FB of them welded up: Will these only work for gen1 though? (shrug)

248965_10150200494597355_822637_n.jpg

246942_10150202411122355_4281168_n.jpg

260252_10150216738857355_5824947_n.jpg

And dont forget ILLs's diagram, with a different approach but same concept of getting the IRS 8.8" bolted. I believe this is the bolt in undermount bar Kumba is mentioning.

attachment.jpg

Sorry for the thread jack Kumba

Not sure why that first set-up wouldn't work for a Gen1. Only two reasons I can think of why he'd say that:

1) Electronic parking brake mounts up there somewhere
2) The Gen1 diff is wider so maybe the Gen2 k-frame doesn't have enough room without making a gen2-specific mount.

The one nice thing about re-using (or fabricating) the lower bar mount is that you don't have to pull the rear frame out. Still have to drop the suspension and all that, but you get to leave the gas tank and all that bolted in place. Plus it's easier to swing around a 3-foot piece instead of the whole rear frame.

The guy who did the upper frame mount was because he wanted more strength for a 500-HP setup. No clue if he got there though.

Members online

Back