Aw, crap. I broke the windshield

quadzilla

LVC Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it. Chit. I'm 41 and have been changing wipers for 30 years - but this has never happend to me before.

I was changing wipers in the garage and had both off with the arms up. I put on one side, when to put it down and just *barely* caught arm #2. WHAM! The spring swung it down into the windshield breaking it (sort of a mini-shatter spot) at the spot of contact. Before I could really do anything about it, it has spread as a crack across the whole windshield.

Since my 2000 is getting up in years, I upped the deductable several months ago and it looks like I'll be paying this one out of my pocket. Any suggestions on finding a cheap new windshield? :(

:Bang that sucks....I have broke two on two previous cars.....but mine involed alot of speed and loose hoods.....:steering

Here in FL its free if you have insurance....dont know about you ....I know that its not too cheap... good luck and bet you wont do that again....:N

i did that once but i was playing football and ran into the rear antennae of a honda.. the insurance covered it on the car and i paid the owners of the car 50$... where do u live? lower ur deductible... if its not a daily driver.. jus wait a month and have them pay for it.. ur gonna have to pay for the windshield(which comes tinted and if u have the rain sensor its even more) and i believe u cant reuse the same seals.. i changed my windshield but the insurance covered it.. sry i couldnt be of more help.. fordparts.com has it.. i gues check prices there

Glass is covered 100% here in MA. Shop around for the best price...I hate when chit like that happens. Good luck

:)

Not as bad as I thought. I called around and found a place that will replace it for $210 if I bring it into the shop. Had a couple of quotes right around $300 prior to that and almost pulled the trigger on it - glad I made another call. Call me very pleasently surprised.

quadzilla said:
:)

Not as bad as I thought. I called around and found a place that will replace it for $210 if I bring it into the shop. Had a couple of quotes right around $300 prior to that and almost pulled the trigger on it - glad I made another call. Call me very pleasently surprised.

Make sure you're getting the original glass with the heating elements for the wiper park. I've heard of some aftermarket glass manufacturers that do not include this.

dont feel so bad, I have seen many techs in my shop do the same thing on all different sorts of cars, thats why you never leave the wiper arms up when changing blades, its just safer practice.

Jay

Believe it or not it will be cheaper than replacing the back windscreen, no antenae in it. Lok around on the internet and some salvage yards. I was able to track down a windshield for a buddy locally (bay area,CA) for his camry at a salvage yard for 100 bucks. The back windscreen for the LS is a bitch to replace especially when some B**** A** punk finds it's fun to walk down the street breaking them with a bat.

Members online

No members online now.
Back