Avoid MasterPro Power Steering Pumps for the LS

DaleGrib

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Word to the wise avoid the power steering pumps from oreilly auto! This pump did not last 11 months and 4,000 miles.

MasterPro Power Steering Pump - Remanufactured

Had been having some issues with steering the last few months, I had noticed it start to get stiff again and never a leak at first! But suddenly it was leaking from the Solenoid port (it came with the Solenoid) It appeared though to be coming out of other areas of the pump as well. I am going to have my mechanic check out the rack and high pressure lines and the normal lines to make sure they did not cause the issue. But my mechanic said he has not had any good luck with their pumps in general and he said to avoid them. Hoping I just ended up with a bad pump so I ordered a OEM Reman with the OEM Solenoid. I got very lucky on the Price it was a one time deal as I got the last one from them for only $45. And I talked with the parts store about the old pump and told them my concerns over their quality and their manager agreed to refund me once I get the old pump off and taken back, he did seem to agree their pumps were not so great.

Last edited:
I am also pretty sure my rack is OK but when my pump is replaced that will be checked out the best it can be. When I replaced my pump for the first time it was not actually bad per say I was just trying to fix that whining noise that an old pump would make. I just thought the old pump was getting near the end and it was changed as a peace of mind but you see where that got me! I suspect if I had used a OEM pump for the replacement I would not be in this situation now.

Last edited:
I gotta say, I have a similar experience but with A1 Cardon. I’ve had it for four years now but when it’s cold (anything below the 40s) and it starts whining. This was from the day I replaced it.

I also bought a reman Motorcraft, but haven’t had the motivation to get in there and replace it yet. That was a over a year ago. But I’ll second your issues on aftermarket PS pumps for the LS - stay away and spend the extra $100

I gotta say, I have a similar experience but with A1 Cardon. I’ve had it for four years now but when it’s cold (anything below the 40s) and it starts whining. This was from the day I replaced it.

I also bought a reman Motorcraft, but haven’t had the motivation to get in there and replace it yet. That was a over a year ago. But I’ll second your issues on aftermarket PS pumps for the LS - stay away and spend the extra $100
Or get lucky like me and get a REMAN Motorcraft for $45 with no core charge and it comes with the Solenoid :)

Edit: Not so lucky in the end.... The seller cancelled the order so back to the search for a good priced oem pump.

Last edited:

Members online

Back