AVIC-Z1 in Aviator

2001LS8Sport

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet. After spending months trying to find a reasonable way to install a factory navigation system in my wife's Aviator, I decided it wasn't feasible and sprung for a Pioneer AVIC-Z1. Am I ever glad I did. This is one very, very nice unit and has features the factory unit can't provide. I just love the XM Navtraffic, Bluetooth capabilities and the fact the motion interlocks are easily bypassed and you can use the unit as it should be. The install is amazingly easy in the Aviator. There is just so much room there to work with. As I mentioned, I added the XM with NavTraffic to the system so I had two antennas to deal with. Amazingly, there are two perfect spots for antennas under the dash in front of the radio that are perfect for the antennas. Don't let anyone hoodwink you...you DO NOT have to have the antennas exposed to work well. Both mine are under the dash and I receive full strength signals on both (easlily verified with the Z1.) I also have the XM antenna on my Cobra under the dash and it works perfectly. So now I have a very expensive Nav unit installed and with the cover closed on the Aviator, there is no way anyone can tell what you have installed unless they happen to see the microphone which is pretty well out of sight too.

The only wire you have to run anywhere difficult is the reverse sensing wire. I'm sure there's one available under the dash somewhere, but I'll be damned if I could find it...and I looked. Everything else is handled right at the dash...including the SWI-PS steering wheel button controller and the VSS wire. Since we have speed sensitive volume on the factory radio, you have a VSS wire right at the radio connectors. Very, very nice.

The unit looks like it came from the factory when installed. It fits like a glove.

There is one little glitch you need to handle. The sub on the Aviator uses a 5 volt signal to turn it on. The Z1 outputs a 12V signal. Whenever you turn on the unit, you get a loud pop from the sub. This is easily fixed with a very inexpensive regulatot and capicators from Radio Shack. Mine works perfectly now.

I can't tell you how nice it is to have all the features available while moving. It's stupid to have to stop to change anything or look anything up. Now you don't have to. You can have a passenger do it for you while you're still driving. And yes...you can watch a movie while driving down the road...but honestly, I think that's pretty stupid to do and would never do that. That's not why I bypassed the interlocks.

I HIGHLY recommend this unit to anyone thinking about adding navigation to their vehicle. I really don't think it can be beat for the price. (It's hard drive driven) If you have any questions, I'll be glad to answer them if I can.

yeah what palmguy said. Post some pics and let us know.

I don't know much about the Pioneer model you put in your wifes truck, but it sounds great.

We have the Eclipse AVN-2450 (I think) and its pretty awesome too... its in our 2005 Expedition Limited. It is WAY better than the Ford one we had in our 2003 -- touch screen and everything.

Bozz

I have to go in and reprogram the SWI-PS. (I'm going to change the use of one of the buttons on the steering wheel to mute) I'll try and get some pics!

I shot a few photos while I programmed my SWI module... I didn't realize the screen was so dirty! It's a touch screen and it doesn't look like that in person.

Lid Closed.jpg

Lid Open.jpg

XM.jpg

Gauges.jpg

GPS Antenna.jpg

XM Antenna.jpg

The first photo shows the lid closing as normal. The second shows how the unit fits like a glove. The next two are of a couple of screen shots...XM radio and the vehicle dynamics...which you can choose from. The next two are of the GPS and XM antennas mounted under the dash and on top of the defroster ducting. I cut me a couple of pieces of sheet metal and Velcro'd them to the ducting. They won't move and the Velcro will help insulate the antennas from the heat of the defroster. (Like we need defrosters in Phoenix) But regardless, heat shouldn't be a problem. I can only imagine how hot the surface of a car would get sitting in the sun all day and attaching the antenna to that. Anyway, the antennas are magnetic and stick to the plates. The signal for XM is full strength and the GPS connects to all satellites. There is no degraded performance from mounting them here.

By the way, I have XM NavTraffic too. It pops up little icons on the navigation map for trouble spots...including slow traffic. You can tell just what's going on and the Nav unit will route you around them. Pretty Cool! And the Bluetooth is AWESOME!!

Pretty sweet unit! Our GPS antenna for ours is mounted up in the dash as well, no problems at all.

The XM traffic thing is awesome, I don't have that. What does the built-in bluetooth due? Headset?

Bozz

You actually have to buy a module to utilize Bluetooth...but it's not expensive. Most phones will allow you to download your phone book to the hard drive too. You just assign your phone to the Bluetooth and you are good to go anytime the phone is in the car. I think you can have 5 phones assigned. Maybe 3...I can't remember now. Anyway, I have my unit set up like the factory...i.e. when park assist engages, it mutes the stereo. The unit also stays powered up when you shut the key off until you open a door. Also, when a call comes in on your phone, it mutes the radio and pops up a screen on the unit. You touch the "answer" icon and talk away. It uses the Z1's microphone and speakers. It also has caller ID. When finished, you touch the "hang up" icon and you're back to normal. Very cool! If you have the IR remote that hooks to your steering wheel, you can answer and hang up from it. I am conversing with PAC to see if we can add that to the hard wired adapter for the steering wheel controls. (SWI-PS) We can't confirm that command is available with the hard wired remote. We would like that and/or voice activation from the steering wheel buttons. You would have to re-assign one of your buttons for that purpose, but I don't ever use "media" or "mem" anyway, so that would be nice. Besides, you can change all those with voice activation anyway.

That is really cool integration with the phone book and all! Mine doesn't do anything that cool. The unit the proceeded my model has some extra functions built-in, like a HD for storing your MP3 music and such.

It doesn't have the phone funtionality in it though, that'd be great to have.

Congrats on a cool system, sounds like its really functional.

Bozz

I have th Pioneer AVIC D1 -- and ITS great! THe Z1 is the newest model and im itching to get one!

lexmarkz00 said:
Does it work with the steering wheel controls?

Absolutely...with a PAC SWI-PS. That's for the hard wired adapter and it works great. You can also use an IR adapter, but it's a little clunky.

Joey, I never used the D1, so I don't know how the Z1 compares. But I really like this Z1. It has an incredible amount of features and is easily "unlocked" so you can have them at your disposal at all times. If you're interested, let me know and I'll direct you to a site where you can see how to do all that. I don't want to post it here.

2001LS8Sport said:
Joey, I never used the D1, so I don't know how the Z1 compares. But I really like this Z1. It has an incredible amount of features and is easily "unlocked" so you can have them at your disposal at all times. If you're interested, let me know and I'll direct you to a site where you can see how to do all that. I don't want to post it here.

Think of the Z1 is the refined D1 -- They basically fixed the shortcomings of the D1 and added a few cool features, like the cell phone accessibility.

This is cool, but what happens if you have the Rear Seat DVD installed? Do you just unhook it? I don't use it anyway. I've read you can still use it with the headphones.

Members online

Back