Avic-F900BT Installed - Awesome!

LSDB23

LVC Member
Reaction score
Everyone, here is my post on on my install of AVIC-F900BT.
It went VERY WELL. No surprises with the CAR. In fact it was amazing how the HD radio and XM receivers fit so well in the glove compartment.
Thanks to others here with there posts on Nav systems. It was a big help and it helped me install mine so easy. Especially using my dremel on the Nav Bezel bracket.
Thanks to LSKONCEPTS for the quick shipping on the NAV BEZEL.
The only thing that was tough was drilling the holes in the factory bracket that came with the car. But made some marks on the bracket, drilled the holes and used a couple of the provided screws from the Avic-F900BT box.
Just take your time and make some marks and drill the holes. I would say total install time was about 8-10 hours. I did a lot of testing and fitting to make sure it looked and everything worked before finishing up.

These materials helped out:
Wiring Harness:
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=103000&i=120705521&tp=2977&avf=N

Factory Radio Wiring Harness Layout-2005-2006
http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/cgi...Xh0PUxpbmNvbG4gbHMgd2lyaW5n&p_li=&p_topview=1

PAC SWI-PS Instructions for Lincoln LS 03-06
http://pac-audio.com/swixprogrammin...earch=Lincoln&Submit2=+Search+Vehicles&ID=249

Antenna Splitter
To get the MSN DIRECT to work it needs to have a Std. FM SIGNAL. But when installing HD Radio it takes the factory Antenna and there is nothing left to plug into the back of the AVIC-F900BT. So you need to get a Y-Splitter.
http://www.crutchfield.com/app/product/item/main.aspx?i=12040UV44&search=antenna

I used some of the other manuals that came with all the materials to help with the wiring. No big secrets, really straight forward install.

The last picture is my custom made splash screen.

That black thing sticking out of my dash by my key is the MIC. Which sounds and functions great!!!

I have my BlackJack II sync up with around 250 contacts downloaded to the device. No issues.

1st test fit.jpg

Start the wire.JPG

HD-XM.jpg

Chop.JPG

TheMic.JPG

Finish#1.JPG

Finish#2.JPG

Antenna.JPG

Splash.JPG

How good is your XM reception with the antenna on the rear deck? I have mine on top of the dash for now but it's nowhere near as good as being on the outside of the car.
When I install my NAV I would like to keep the antenna(s) inside if that works pretty well...

No problem....

NAV and XM ANTs are back there. I have them stuck down with some Velcro. No problems at this point. The manual even says they can go there. Can't really see them when driving or from the back of the car....

Thanks!

if you ever want to reclaim your glove box, there is plenty of room above the glove box. you can even use velcro or double sided tape to secure it down

there should be room by removing the entire glove box, and hiding it behind. At least, there's probably enough room on my Gen 1.

there should be room by removing the entire glove box, and hiding it behind. At least, there's probably enough room on my Gen 1.
2nd gens as well, it juse not as easy to get to, i have my XM tuner, bluetooth adapter and the crossovers for my front componets all on top of the glovebox

When driving down the parkway (lots of trees), my XM signal went to crap with the antenna in the car. Eventually had to move it to the roof. MUCH better reception there.

i had mine on my dash and the reception wasnt to bad until i drove from michigan to alabama, once i got into kentucky the reception went to crap except for around bigger cities like Louisville and Nashville where the terestial repeaters helped out. so i bent a small bracket and mounted it to the hood hinge bolts, that way it seems to float next to the wipers and is dead even with the hood. since then the reception is perfect

Looks real good man. I ordered one a month ago F90 to be exact and took it to have it put in and the shop I think they messed it up. They called me before I got off of work and said I had a bad unit. I sent it back and had it checked out and the technician said it was fine but the shop that was doing the work claimed that the pre amp outputs were bad. I'm waiting on a new unit right now. The company exchanged the unit. I posted a thread on here when I got it and put a few pics. I was going to do the install myself but just didn't have the time so I took it in. I bought the steering wheel controls too. I think this time when I get the new unit i'm going to wait and go ahead and put in HD radio while i'm at it. Have you had any problems with yours? If you haven't already try avic411.com. They have all kinds of helpful tricks and solutions on the site about all the avic models. Good job on the install though.

Looks good man!

I've been considering getting a double din head unit for awhile now.. wanting to spoil myself with touch screen and replace my alpine 9885

Mixed reviews and feelings on that H/u

What's the boot up time like, and what firmware came shipped.

Im hearing that firmware 1.9 fixes the 1 minute boot up, can you back this =)

Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments....

No I left the VSS wire off and it works fine. Only thing I'm having trouble getting working is the MSN DIRECT service. Working out those kinks but everything else is perfect. HD Radio is awesome - XM - SD Card...very cool!

After July pioneer now ships units with the upated firmware.

If there is any CON its the bootup time. but remember it loads a ton of things from Flash Memory! If boot up time is important maybe a disk based system would be faster.
BlueTooth connects and has been working great!

Members online

Back