Aviators in the snow?

Midwest26

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have a question for Aviator owners. How are they in the snow? I'm really thinking of getting one and since I live in Wisconsin I'm wondering how well they go through the snow? Any help appreciated.

Thanks

i'm gonna take a guess at this one and say that it probably handles similarly to an explorer/mountaineer. they are essentially the same vehicle, granted the lincoln has a stronger v8 if i recall...

Ye, different engine (32v 302hp versus 16V 260ish), bigger brakes, different suspension tunning.

My experience with the Ave has been good in the snow. While driving along it is very predictable and handles well. Braking is tougher because of the weight, but the tranction control turns on and helps. I was however dissapointed with it's ability to get out of a few tough situations after being snowed in heavily. I don't think many other vehicles would have gotten out either though. The scenario: parked on a decline on grass, with about a foot of snow. The ave would not get traction and could not climb out, my guess because of the grass. It was digging itself in, but I doubt other vehicles would have had much luck. I think in the '05 (my year) you can lock the AWD into 4WD mode. I rarely use it, even in the snow, but I thought I'd throw it in. So all and all I am happy, and my last 4x4 vehicle was a 2001 Jeep Wrangler Sahara.

AWD is a system that kicks in, whereas 4WD is something you can manually change. Navigators had 4wd, Aviators had AWD.

Not sure what year they started (I have an '05) but the Ave has an option through the message center to lock the cetner diff to 50/50. In effect a true 4WD system. How do I know, well it feels exactly like my Jeep Wrangler when in 4WD mode. You can't take turns on dry pavement without the Ave steering wheel fighting the turn (as it is not designed for dry pavement). Swithcing back to AWD mode returns the distribution to 35/65 front/rear and allows the computer to vary the distribution plus what ever else it does. Again, when locked it feels exactly like the 4WD I'm accustomed to in my Jeep Wrangler. There is no lo range however. Also, you can't put it into 2wd mode. If I remember correctly when you lock it, an icon appears in the cluster that says "LOCKED" and a picture of the axles and drive train or something.

Thanks for the replies, I have had 4X4 before but never AWD so I was wondering if there would be much difference.

I have a 03 aviator awd I live in Ontario Canada we get mad snow up here and it's great the wife takes the aviator which has all season tires instead of our mazda protege with snow tires.:D

I have a 03 aviator awd. I live in Ontario Canada & we get mad snow up here and it handles every senario great. The wife takes the aviator which has all season tires instead of our mazda protege with snow tires.:D

AWD is a system that kicks in, whereas 4WD is something you can manually change. Navigators had 4wd, Aviators had AWD.

Mostly true. Navigators have always had a AWD option, however some years you could set it to 2wd. For example our '04 Navi had the option of 2h, awd, 4x4high and 4x4 low. Currnently our '08 does not have the 4x4 low option due to the 6 speed transmission. Can't say I really miss it either.

Members online

Back