Aviator: problem with transfer case.

andrewsh

New LVC Member
Reaction score
My Lincoln Aviator 2005 has a problem with transfer case.
Here are the steps to replicate it:
1. I drive my Lincoln in quite deep snow (it wears in summer tyres, so wheels can slip very easily).
2. Now (in deep snow) I switch gear stick in reverse position ("R"), turn wheels in utmost left or utmost right position and step on an accelerator very strongly. I hear a VERY loud bang 1 time in my transfer case, then the car moves backward normally. Please note that I have this issue only in "R" position.

What happened with my transfer case? I know that it's not easy to answer this question without inspection, but may be you just recognize these symptoms and advice me how expensive will be repairing. Is it a big problem or it can be fixed quite easily?
Thanks in advance!

My Lincoln Aviator 2005 has a problem with transfer case.
Here are the steps to replicate it:
1. I drive my Lincoln in quite deep snow (it wears in summer tyres, so wheels can slip very easily).
2. Now (in deep snow) I switch gear stick in reverse position ("R"), turn wheels in utmost left or utmost right position and step on an accelerator very strongly. I hear a VERY loud bang 1 time in my transfer case, then the car moves backward normally. Please note that I have this issue only in "R" position.

What happened with my transfer case? I know that it's not easy to answer this question without inspection, but may be you just recognize these symptoms and advice me how expensive will be repairing. Is it a big problem or it can be fixed quite easily?
Thanks in advance!

Wow.... I would NEVER crank my wheels to the stop in 4wd.
If I ever had to I would for sure give it as little gas as possible.
My best guess.... the bang is from your front hubs getting engaged not your transfer case.

Plus is hard as hell on it...don't do it anymore.

Wow.... I would NEVER crank my wheels to the stop in 4wd.
If I ever had to I would for sure give it as little gas as possible.
My best guess.... the bang is from your front hubs getting engaged not your transfer case.

Plus is hard as hell on it...don't do it anymore.

I agree, that sounds like a bad idea on something to do to your aviator. if you ever have to turn all the way to full lock i would definately ease onto the throttle and not mash the gas. That sounds like a good way to blow up stuff.

Thanks for the answers! If it helps, please note, that I didn't engage "full lock" via board message center - it was just trivial AWD mode without blocking. So, should I fix my Aviator or this "bang" is predictable result on my incorrect actions?
Just fyi: I did the same thing on 2 other Aviators and I didn't hear this bang. So, it seems my Aviator has to be fixed.

And one more question: How often should I replace engine oil and gearbox oil in Aviator? Every ~7.500 miles for engine oil and ~50.000 miles for gearbox oil?

I do engine every 5,000 and tranny every 30,000. Not so sure about the bang being normal.

I have the exact same problem. It sounds like a stick of dynamite going off under the wheel:confused: I didn't turn my wheels fully either. I try to avoid doing that. Im thinking about using a full synthetic in the tranny and transfer case. Royal Purple I hear is good. Mine has 105k miles on the ticker. 05 with every option Aviator offered. Starting to shift a little rough also:(

I have the exact same problem. It sounds like a stick of dynamite going off under the wheel:confused: I didn't turn my wheels fully either. I try to avoid doing that. Im thinking about using a full synthetic in the tranny and transfer case. Royal Purple I hear is good. Mine has 105k miles on the ticker. 05 with every option Aviator offered. Starting to shift a little rough also:(

Hi, I use Amsoil drive train fluids (ATF & Gear Oil) and the quality is very good, check out their website for information on your application.

I have had problems with front hubs sticking due to ice. Some transfer cases have a clutch to allow a small degree of wheel slip before engaging, and that could be worn for a rough engagement. I don't know about this application but it is a possibility.

Ok thanks I will check it out. Yeah I heard good things about Amsoil and Royal Purple. Maybe this will cure my ills:p

Just changed my tranny fluid and tranfer case fluid to Amsoil. Did the complete flush. Shifts much smoother now, but AWD banging sound still present. I locked the system into AWD on the setup menu option, and still is making a loud whiny sound, and when i turn my wheels I am hearing a loud banging noise.

Any ideas? CV joint or transfer case issue? :(:confused:

An Aviator is just an Explorer with a different grill some bell and whistles, and a nice motor.

It still has all the weakness of an Explorer.

Check the front hub ass.
They are known to go out before 100k.

Join this site.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum32/

getimage.php

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...636&partkey=903401&a=FRc1410691k903401-871299

Why would this issue only happen when the AWD is engaged? If it were a front hub ass, wouldn't the problem occur all the time? When the front wheel doesn't engage on ice or snow there is no " banging sound " or no " whining " coming from the front. It seems like the transfer case to me. :confused:

Because you say it happens when you turn your wheels.

If it was my truck...that is were I would look.
Transfer case will not bang when you turn your wheels.
I think the "bang" is the front wheels engaging the whining is the bearing.

I can't give you a internet guarantee that hub bearing is your problem, just a guess.

Join FTE and ask...do some research.

Ask there.

My Navigator is doing something similar. I had a friend who is a service tech at the local Ford / Lincoln dealer look at her. It was the transfer case locking up uncommanded. The truck shudders going around corners. The sharper the turn, the stronger the sudder. In a really tight, slow turn she'll sometimes bang.

At first we thought it was the shift motor because the contact plates were returning bad data. Replaced that but the problem came back. I spent a day fooling with it. Had it down to either the limited slip rear or the transfer case. Pulled the forward driveshaft and the problem disappeared.

The truck has 343,000 miles and the trans has been rebuilt once, so I guess the transfer case wants it's turn. We'll see. I need to take it back to have it diagnosed again.

Best regards,
Frank

Members online

No members online now.
Back