Average Expected Life of Cadillacs

Michelle L.

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello,
We ran across a 1996 Cadillac El Dorado with about 94,000 miles on it. Supposedly it was owned by a couple that own a restaurant near the beach. I know that's irrelivant EXCEPT that it leads me to believe the car most likely has been well maintained. Now, what is the expected life in miles, on average, of Cadillacs? Is there lots of life left in this thing or should we not consider it? Please help! :) Thank you!

Michelle

Hard to say exactly. But I would guess its about halfway right now. It also depends on how it was maintained, how it was driven, etc.

Thanks for your reply!
If it's probably got another 100k left on it, then I don't see that it would be a bad buy at all. And as I said, I am assuming a rich couple who own a restaurant would be the kind that would really take care of a car. Hopefully I'm correct! :) They are asking $7400 or $7900, can't remember so I guess it would be a good bargain, what do you think?

Michelle L. said:
Thanks for your reply!
If it's probably got another 100k left on it, then I don't see that it would be a bad buy at all. And as I said, I am assuming a rich couple who own a restaurant would be the kind that would really take care of a car. Hopefully I'm correct! :) They are asking $7400 or $7900, can't remember so I guess it would be a good bargain, what do you think?

I think I'd consider checking it out through Carfax. Write down the VIN from the dash, and check out the history.

Cadillac life expectancy

I've had 2 Cadillacs and put 200k on one and 275k on the other. On the 275k the Deville was still running well--I had a head-on collision with a pickup and totaled the car. I think it probably saved my life.
I would definitely recommend a Cadillac. I have an ElDorado now.
:C

Old people suck at driving. Therefore, none of the parts in the car have been pushed hard at all. The first time you slam on the gas will be the first time all those parts have seen that kind of power. Things start to break after that.

If you cruise and don't gas it like I do, you'll be fine. If you want balls out power, be prepared to replace a lot of the little crappy pieces that never saw the abuse you will put on the vehicle. Been there, done that, many times.

Cadillac Life Expectancy

Hi, we went ahead and purchased the car (really my husband's car) and it is WONDERFUL! And to my surprise, it only had 71k miles, not 94k like I thought. We'd looked at so many cars that day I got mixed up. The ride is unsurpassed (at least by us anyway). There was someone else who posted on this website that said his Eldorado had 280,000 miles on it and was still going strong, which goes along with what you also are saying. I am SO happy, I think we've found a car we can have for many years to come. Luckily my husband is a mechanic (not professional) and can take care of some of the routine maintenance himself. I'd love to have an Eldorado myself, but I think it would get me in trouble, all that power. I have a tendancy to be competative while driving....not good....my 1st car to drive was a Plymouth Satellite, which was a very powerful car so I got started that way. I have seen a smaller cadillac I may look into when I get my Sable paid off, a Catera. It's a 6 cyl. But I do love my Sable, also comfort is outstanding, so I may get one of those again. Anyway, thanks for your reply.

Michelle :)

Life Expectancy of Cadillac

bob2231 said:
I think I'd consider checking it out through Carfax. Write down the VIN from the dash, and check out the history.

Hi, thanks for the very good advice about carfax. Turns out the car is super-clean, originally a corporate lease vehicle with steady maintenance every few months for the first few years, then sold at auction, then to the restaurant couple, so I think we made a great choice. Also it only has 71k miles, not 94k as I had gotten mixed up with all the other cars we'd looked at, so EVEN BETTER!!! I even checked out my current car I drive, a 1999 Sable, and it came back clean as well, so that was nice to find out. Thanks again!

Michelle :)

Congratulations on the purchase of a great looking car! I love the looks of those Eldo's. Try to post some pics when you can. Enjoy!

I think that kind of money is a bit high for a 1996 though... Look around - Bet you get better prices. Check EBAY

A bit old but low mileage.Stunning good looks on the Eldos and reliable powerful engines.70k miles for $7400.Great choice.Thats a walk in the park.With my experiences with the Northstars,I'd say that this car will role 200 k miles easy.CaptainZilog,a good point but something else to think about,those parts have never been abused.So that means that there not worn or in rough shape.Meaning there less likely to break.Its like pulling the car off the lot new.The parts have never been exposed to the power and the new owner slams the gas and all those parts are exposed to raw power.Are they going to break?No,there made to withstand it.If this vehicle has been taken care of,then your car isnt even broken in yet.Be prepared for many enjoyable years with your Eldorado.

Also Joey.Ebay is good and its bad.Theres a lot of good deals,but you never know what your getting.So what you think might be a good deal could very well turn out to be a rip off.

Members online

No members online now.
Back