Aux pump change now no start

g4rgoyle

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so like others I had no heat at idle, so I changed the aux pump. Now car turns over but will not start. If pump is defective will this cause issues of the car not starting. I have gone threw all the fuses all are good.

So I tried quick start and still same issue, car has been sitting for a couple weeks since I change the aux pump. I have no Pat lights that come on, it smells like gas when trying to start, I hear the fuel pump, I have had the battery disconnected and charging since I have changed the pump. I thinking it might be flooded it, it has tried a couple of times which seems like it was about to start. Have read hold gas pedal to floor then put key in and try. And have tried with the half the gas pedal down and still not starting.

Ok I have held pedal down, now depending on how bad it is flooded do you think it will be necessary to pull the plugs ? Thanks for the reply

Ok I have held pedal down, now depending on how bad it is flooded do you think it will be necessary to pull the plugs ? Thanks for the reply

no, any fuel in the cylinder will get pushed out the exhaust valve, unless it is so flooded that there is so much fuel in the cylinder that it can be compressed during the compression stroke.

and I dont even know how that would be possible to happen aside from driving the car into a pond of gasoline.

Alright thanks, I had a car which was carb which was flooded had to pull plugs and put them in a oven . was winter, I did of course floor it while trying to start it. But thanks for reply, so pretty much floor it and turn key for about twenty seconds, then just try and start it with out touching the gas pedal at all. Thanks again

Alright thanks, I had a car which was carb which was flooded had to pull plugs and put them in a oven . was winter, I did of course floor it while trying to start it. But thanks for reply, so pretty much floor it and turn key for about twenty seconds, then just try and start it with out touching the gas pedal at all. Thanks again

Turn the key to start and hold there for up to 30 seconds at a time while holding the gas pedal all the way to the floor. If/when it starts to fire up, you can release the gas pedal and let it run.

Well, yeah, a carb. If it has a bad float it'll pump gasoline into the engine until it's running out the top of the carb if you keep trying to start it and it doesn't grab. Hold a modern fuel injected engine to the floor and crank it and the injectors won't pump fuel in. That's how it clears the flooded condition.

I hate carbs with a ****ing purple passion. Next carbed vehicle I buy gets a Holley fuel injection system right off, I'm talking the minute I buy it the TBI's on its way. I'd rather have my right arm cut off than ever run another carb.

Never had much trouble with carbs until ethanol.............yeah,they're not as dependable as fuel injection or as efficient,but I've run em for many years,nearly trouble-free.. Ethanol's hard on most older cars carbs. Hopefully the Gov't will relax the demands that ethanol be mixed into our fuel someday SOON. don-ohio :)^)

Eh, aside from this one Quadrajet they've never been anything but trouble for me, but I admit that's mainly because I can't get my head around them. I know how they should work, but have never been able to put theory to practice correctly. As far as I'm concerned fuel injection is best, with GM's current fuel injection system as the current pinnacle. For a carb replacement, TBI is perfect. Want to see one of the worst fuel injection systems on the market? Look at the GM Vortec system. Fuel lines inside the intake manifold, poppet injectors, yuck. I think that Ford hired the designers of the Vortec system to build the Lincoln LS.

Had a 1974 Mercedes 2.4 when I was in Germany, it had a carb that had an oil reservoir that acted as some kind of baffle. Weird, having to check the oil in your carb. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back