AutoZone's car code says I need to replace the PCV valve and/or hose...

Tomas

LVC Member
Reaction score
...on my 2001 Lincoln LS V-6. On line instruction videos say the intake manifold needs to be removed to perform this task. Is this true? If so, I will need to buy a manifold gasket and sealer, so I figure I may as well replace the spark plugs, too. If it's at all possible to replace the PCV without removing the manifold please let me know soonest. I will be replacing the valve tomorrow.

Right now I am just trying to get a computer ready signal so I can pass smog. I had just finished the Basic Drive Cycle and was on my way to the testing station when the Check Engine came on.
ETA: I now have two codes: P0174 - Mixture too rich and P0455 - EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)

Last edited:
...on my 2001 Lincoln LS V-6. On line instruction videos say the intake manifold needs to be removed to perform this task. Is this true? If so, I will need to buy a manifold gasket and sealer, so I figure I may as well replace the spark plugs, too. If it's at all possible to replace the PCV without removing the manifold please let me know soonest. I will be replacing the valve tomorrow.

Right now I am just trying to get a computer ready signal so I can pass smog. I had just finished the Basic Drive Cycle and was on my way to the testing station when the Check Engine came on.
ETA: I now have two codes: P0174 - Mixture too rich and P0455 - EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)

Yes you must remove the upper manifold and yes ....use the "Since I'm In There" Rule and change out the COPs and Spark Plugs...MotorCraft Coils and NGK Spark Plugs...
Liqui Moly (20002) Cera Tec Friction Modifier - 300 ml
Use this with your next oil Change...Guaranteed To Smooth Out your LS

There is no code that says PCV valve. P0174 can be caused by a torn elbow at the PCV valve, but it can also be caused a whole bunch of other things. P0455 is almost certainly something else.

According to the Autel-MaxiScan-MS300-User-Manual-V1.03:
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2) - I am assuming this has something to do with a hose leak in the PCV system because I have not adjusted anything in the fuel system
P0445 EVAP Emission Control System Purge Valve C Short - I am assuming this is also due to either the PCV valve and/or tube requiring replacement.

I am trying to acquire a new hose but neither AutoZone nor O'Reilly list the part on line, which is going to require a personal visit. Rock Auto has it, but unless I want to double its price with shipping charges, I won't get it until Thursday. I will try the only Lincoln dealer in San Diego on Monday to ascertain it's availability, but like the flywheel (my LS has a standard transmission) I may have to try the Jaguar dealer.

...P0445 EVAP Emission Control System Purge Valve C Short - I am assuming this is also due to either the PCV valve and/or tube requiring replacement...

Nope!
That's either the wiring to the valve or the valve itself.

It's been several years since I replaced the PCV elbow on my now ex-wife's Lincoln LS, but back then (probably 2010 or so) I too was struggling to find the elbow. My dealer pulled a few items that he thought might work and the closest we found was a part for a V8 Ford truck. The part number of the stand-alone elbow that the dealer sold me was labeled as a "Connector" and Ford part number YL8Z-6A614-AA. The dealer had it in stock and it saves a few bucks over the entire PCV hose kit by application for the LS.

-Rod

I believe its the same part for the Escape... but the hose might be different.

IIRC... there's an o-ring on it that goes bad.

Hi 04_Sport_LS, that's not true, it is just a rubber elbow of around 5/8" ID, one end slips over the PCV and the other slips over a hard plastic line that leads to the air intake on the clean side of the filter. The PCV has an O-ring, but that gets changed with the valve itself.

And both halves of the intake need to be removed to access the PCV. It's not a terrible job, but it does open up another pair of gaskets that will either need to be cleaned and reconditioned, or replaced. Decent carburetor cleaner does the trick with some good rags, since the gasket is plastic framed with the ports having individual silicone raised seals on both sides of the plastic frame. You'd be cleaning 24 individual port seals up if you wanted to re-use the gaskets.

Yup... something like this:

IMG_20200624_170640805.jpg

Similar... but different.

The PVC system is not a hard line on the Escape V6... but a few rubber hoses connected with nipples... and a rubber coated plastic elbow.

PVC valve is still a pain to get to on the Escape... even though the engine is transverse mounted.

That's one reason I bought a V8 LS.
IMG_20200624_170718115.jpg

Yeah... and the spring clamp, (similar to the LS cooling system clamps), is a royal PITA.

Not to mention you have to be a contortionist to get your hand and a pair of pliers in there.

Swearing is mandatory.
:D

Well, I installed the above hose, killed the CHECK ENGINE light and performed the basic drive cycle, twice and the light has stayed off. Tomorrow I will perform yet another basic drive cycle on the way to the smog station for a retest. Everyone please cross their fingers!

There is no code that says PCV valve. P0174 can be caused by a torn elbow at the PCV valve, but it can also be caused a whole bunch of other things. P0455 is almost certainly something else.
PCV Code is P0171

PCV Code is P0171
Nope!
P0171 is fuel system trim too lean on bank one.
Many things can cause that code, and a bad PCV valve might on cars that have a PCV valve. (Note that the V8 LS does not have an PCV valve but can produce code P0171.)
I am amazed that so many miss the fact that the OBD codes almost never identify a faulty component. Instead they indicate what parameter(s) are out of range and give a good clue at what parts to look at. Still, there is always a troubleshooting flowchart to follow for each code. If people would follow that diagnostic step, they wouldn't have to throw multiple parts at a car until they stumble on the right one.

Nope!
P0171 is fuel system trim too lean on bank one.
Many things can cause that code, and a bad PCV valve might on cars that have a PCV valve. (Note that the V8 LS does not have an PCV valve but can produce code P0171.)
I am amazed that so many miss the fact that the OBD codes almost never identify a faulty component. Instead they indicate what parameter(s) are out of range and give a good clue at what parts to look at. Still, there is always a troubleshooting flowchart to follow for each code. If people would follow that diagnostic step, they wouldn't have to throw multiple parts at a car until they stumble on the right one.

Ok thanks for the advice. But when I pulled the code P0171 is stated most common fix would be the pcv valve and hose…

IMG_3218.png

you need to see what happens to long term trims at cruise. if they come down it’s a small vac leak

Members online

No members online now.
Back