Automatic Climate control issue

the_continental_kid

LVC Member
Reaction score
What's broken?

My vents no longer work... only defrost and floor.

Turning the unit off, does nothing - it'll function as if on AUTO while turned off.

Everything else works, this happened suddently - it worked great until 2-3 days ago - I have not changed anything else in this time.

I'm guessing the vaccum control in the automatic climate control unit - am I right? Or is something else possibly busted?

The self test didn't produce anything. After I entered self mode, it just lit up everything on the screen and stayed that way until I left the self test mode... I left it sit there for close to 5 minutes and, nothing.

Ideas?

If certain buttons aren't working, then it sounds like the unit itself is fried. Is this problem happening in your 98 Mark?

the_continental_kid said:
No, mine is a '93. So I should just replace the unit?

Yes, replace it with the 96+ "hard buttons" controller. That way, even if that doesn't completely solve the problem, the hard buttons are sturdier and they won't crack later on..

Anyone have one?

The one that's in my car now is a hard-button style - so I'm assuming the previous owner replaced it because it was busted or the buttons were cracked. I just sold one that was out of my old Continental but it was the early style and the buttons were all cracked up.

I don't wanna spend $100 for one - I'm looking on eBay and what's listed right now isn't lookin' too good to me. lol

There is some guy selling 2 units that he says work fine, but all the bulbs have been removed and they don't light up. Maybe I'll just get them and take mine apart and take his apart and saw em?

Currently $35 for two units (that's with shipping).

Look for SHO units on there as well as continental units. Last time I looked they were all going cheap. I paid $60 for mine shipped on car-part.com.

Check your local u-pull-it or junk yard. I got one for my 89 Conti for $5 and used it for ports on mine. It's a cheap fix.

scott9050 said:
Look for SHO units on there as well as continental units. Last time I looked they were all going cheap. I paid $60 for mine shipped on car-part.com.

Carefull..... SHO units DO NOT swap with a Marks head unit!

I looked at some close up pics - and all the controls are the same on the units in the Contis and Marks and the connector in the back is the same - but the label is different and the color of the display is a bit different. I don't know if they're serious issues or would make them incompatable.

I'm going to try u-pull it hopping... but my local yard is... well... its the biggest damn u-pull-it I've ever sceen and the people are crazy in there - I mean people beat eachother up (LITERALLY) over parts - its the biggest red-neck road show on the face of the planet... and being a Lincoln driver - I prefer to think that I don't fit in with that crowd. lol

The shame is I sold the one from a Conti (but the buttons were cracked up anyway). :(

problem on mine - no matter what button i push, only the defrost works. this started happening today. it's a unit out of a 96 that i purchased a couple of months ago. Any ideas, or do i have to replace it?

Members online

Back