Austin's 98 Mark VIII Build thread

austin26372

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Here's my Mark VIII DD... she'll be lightly, and tastefully, modded to a semi-sleeper status. But for now, I'm catching up on some maintenance items like paint correction and clearing up odds and ends.

The day she came home:

IMG_20110820_160747.jpg

Headlight restoration: (I'm holding off on the driver's side until I figure out what I want to do with the water intrusion.)

IMG_20110824_145831.jpg

IMG_20110824_145838.jpg

IMG_20110824_145845.jpg

IMG_20110824_145854.jpg

if the chrome inside is still good, you can pull it off and stick a hair dryer in it for awhile. when its all dried out seal up the edges or any cracks with clear caulk or something, put some silicone lube on the light bulb orings, and then polish it up.

the one headlight looks great though.

Welcome and nice ride! Keep us updated!!

Thanks, will do!

if the chrome inside is still good, you can pull it off and stick a hair dryer in it for awhile. when its all dried out seal up the edges or any cracks with clear caulk or something, put some silicone lube on the light bulb orings, and then polish it up.

the one headlight looks great though.

Thanks for the tip. I'm hoping it's just an o-ring, but I haven't dug into it yet. I'm really surprised with how well the first one turned out. :cool:

Found with a little search.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=55584

I had to fix stacks car with this problem....

I do this...

Remove the headlight
Remove all the bulbs
Fill the headlight with rubbing alchohol and swish it all around and dump it out... alchohol is hygroscopic and evaporates much faster...
If water/rubbing alchohol remains blow it out with an air compressor or hair dryer
At that point you have eliminated the water but no fixed the problem...
Then I take silicone sealer and seal the entire was around the lense and housing and also seal up the vents
The I liberally coat the bulb gaskets with dielectric grease so they seal better

Nice car.

Thanks for the link ford nut.

Here's a good daytime light output comparison:

As you can see, the driver's side fogginess is holding in a fair amount of light, whereas the passenger's side emits the light outwards.

IMG_20110824_160532.jpg

IMG_20110824_160525.jpg

Base model Gen2s just don't look good...all that chrome doesn't do it for me with that body..

It almost looks like an AutoZone mod

Good job on the headlight tho...and good luck with the project

Base model Gen2s just don't look good...all that chrome doesn't do it for me with that body..

It almost looks like an AutoZone mod

Good job on the headlight tho...and good luck with the project

The only ones I feel can pull off the chrome is the lighter colors, i.e. silver,white ect...

It all comes down to the persons taste though...Some people dig chrome.

I like it on some Gen 1s

0c9078cb.jpg

Just not any of the Gen 2s... I don't think the body wears it well.. Just IMO

Little nominal update... finished the other headlight polishing and put a small pin hole in the side to let the moisture out. Also cleaned up my rims, but I'm going to polish them tomorrow to finish everything up.

Before:
IMG_20110904_131528.jpg

After:
IMG_20110904_131514.jpg

.... those rims just kill the car....

you have plans for changing them?

Little nominal update... finished the other headlight polishing and put a small pin hole in the side to let the moisture out. Also cleaned up my rims, but I'm going to polish them tomorrow to finish everything up.

Before:
IMG_20110904_131528.jpg

After:
IMG_20110904_131514.jpg

Pin hole in the headlight? You just need to pull the bulbs out.

Pulled the rear center light today to inquire as to why it didn't work.... drumroll... it wasn't plugged in! (Mainly because there was no way to do such, must be a missing harness or something) Anywho, anybody care to share if the chrome detaches from the light lens? - I'm looking to do a light light tint.

IMG_20110907_193632.jpg

And a nice pic for the heck of it!

IMG_20110906_134243.jpg

Oh, also pulled the old radio today in favor of something with USB and AUX inputs.

IMG_20110907_162922.jpg

what head unit you looking at putting in? i was going to put a pioneer avh-p3200 in mine, but put it in the truck.

Members online

Back