Arrrg...hit by a bicyclist :|

Zr0

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Pulling up to a stop sign intersection and out of nowhere comes an idiot _FLYING_ down the sidewalk to my right on a bike into the intersection. He pulls on breaks and tries to swerve around the back of the car...smashes face first into my rear passenger door and quarter panel. Get out, check to see if he's okay and looks fine except for some bloody knuckles. As he's saying sorry he hops on his bike and pedals off...decided trying to pull out and chase him through traffic is a bad idea, mainly because I'll either get in another accident or beat his ass when I catch him.

Door is dented and dimpled, paint is scratched along the door and quarter panel by the gas tank. I'm sure this will cost a pretty penny to fix. Yay pearl tri-coat :mad:

that sucks, huh.

I had a big chunk of concrete fall off of a bricklayer's truck, bounce up and come up across my hood and down the passenger fender. Luckily it did not come through the windshield and hit my daughter. I honked and tried to get their attention, would not stop. Followed them to the job site, guy tells me it is his bosses truck, they are insured, gives me the business name, number. I continue on to wokr, call the guy, he tells me they are subcontractors, he is not responsible, not his truck. Call the county sheriff, told that they can;t do anything because I did not call them at the time that it happened.

that sucks, huh.

I had a big chunk of concrete fall off of a bricklayer's truck, bounce up and come up across my hood and down the passenger fender. Luckily it did not come through the windshield and hit my daughter. I honked and tried to get their attention, would not stop. Followed them to the job site, guy tells me it is his bosses truck, they are insured, gives me the business name, number. I continue on to wokr, call the guy, he tells me they are subcontractors, he is not responsible, not his truck. Call the county sheriff, told that they can;t do anything because I did not call them at the time that it happened.

Yeah, you have to be pretty aggressive with them. Had a leaf spring take out my right front wheel and I made the truck pull over right there by forcing him off the road. Was a Wal-Mart 18-wheeler. Also called the cops and had them come to the scene. Had full coverage, so my insurance got me back on the road, then they went after Wal-Mart for the repairs.

You have the information from the truck, right? Give it to your insurance company and they will pursue it. Not sure how far they will take it without a police report though. That police report... very important...

I only had liability on it, so no reason to call the INS company. The take away from that for me was to call the police immediately when crap like that happens.

Unfortunately, yes. IMO full coverage is worth the extra expense if for no other reasons than you don't find yourself suddenly stranded and don't have to wait on the other guy's insurance company to make repairs.

Back to the original post, I don't think I have ever heard a motorist hit by a speeding bike. Usually the other way round. Like man bites dog.

Back to the original post, I don't think I have ever heard a motorist hit by a speeding bike. Usually the other way round.

lord knows I have... hell I even seen it happen in person once. dude was hauling ass down the sidewalk not paying attention, got a little wobble in his front end and smashed right into the first car PARKED on the side of the road. same thing, he looked around, grabbed his sh!t and took the F off!

Bike lanes are ruining this country

I wish the guy was in the bike lane...then he would have been on the opposite side of the street and not blazing down the sidewalk...going the wrong way. Thankfully it was my car and not a baby stroller or something (pretty common at that intersection)

They should be required to have insurance for them if they want to ride in the road, I hate bike lanes with a passion, in Lexington ky, they have changed roads that were 2 lanes one way to one lane roads just to add bike lanes and because of it traffic is awful, and you only see maybe 3 bicycles a day on them, they act like bicycles are vehicles like cars and have a tight to be on the road, they don't, but oh we can't have bicycles hitting people walking, well what's worse that or they bicycles bring hit by cars, recently and you can look this up a lady pro bicycle road sharing in Nicholasville ky decided it was OK to ride in the lanes of traffic on a 55 mile per hour road, resulting in traffic moving under 25 every morning during rush hour. Resulting in the biggest up roar and dumbest court case to ever take place. I'm sorry to anyone who disagrees but if it isn't capable if going at least 55Mph it has no business being on any road, my parents made me ride on the sidewalks for a reason, my uncle was killed as a child riding in the road, it's just not safe, and what if you hadn't been stopped you would hit him and you would have been the bad guy. I'm sorry that happened to you, I would have chased this person down and knocked him off the bike, it's no different than any other hut and run

I once worked with an avid biker. He was riding his road bike after work one day and t-boned a deer. Caught her right behind the shoulder and killed the doe. He was wearing a helmet so that helped but was rashed up pretty good. I think the bike was toast too.

cyclist!!!

Up on the curb goes Johnny cyclist, hastily peddling to the front of the line and proceed to pretend to have "earned" pole position the hard way.

Little irritating game we play during traffic jams, I now AGAIN have to politely merge 72+ feet of large machine into the middle of the lanes to get around Johnny cyclist.

4 wheelers, get annoyed at this and switch behind me into the lane I just came from, only to discover almost too late, there was a cyclist hidden from view (due to the trailer blocking).

Mister Johnny cyclist, not only impedes traffic from light to light on his way home from work ... on the
censored.gif
'ing weekends, he and 11 others of his peddling friends put on flashy outfits and proceed to travel 3 or 4 wide as a group.

Have you seen Tour the La
censored.gif
'ing France groups, turning right, blow through red lights? STOP signs are not for bikes so it seems.

Then there's the bunch I like to call "Too cool for bike path" on the road, in the way but there's other people biking on the path twenty feet in the woods.

HELLO Johnny!!!! get off the road and stay on the
censored.gif
'ing designated bike path with the others would ya!

Discovered the loud obnoxious air horns ... from a few feet ... YEAH, it brings out international sign language alright!

Greetings to you 2
censored.gif
'er!

I used to ride a lot back in the day, now just dont have the time. however, when I was riding, I sure as sh!t made sure to stay out of the way of everything that was way outside of my weight class. if not as a common courtesy, for no other reason than self presiversion. I mean yeah sure I may have the right away, but that doesn't help me if i get into a wreck and my 50lbs bike hits a two ton truck. I dont care who is at fault, the cyclist will lose every single time.

When making a right turn as the leading vehicle. (meaning in front of the cyclist)
lot of people completely unaware they must yield to a cyclist on the inside going straight.

It's how most of them get plowed down.

EDIT: Failed to check/did not see, might be a better way of putting it.

I used to ride a lot back in the day, now just dont have the time. however, when I was riding, I sure as sh!t made sure to stay out of the way of everything that was way outside of my weight class. if not as a common courtesy, for no other reason than self presiversion. I mean yeah sure I may have the right away, but that doesn't help me if i get into a wreck and my 50lbs bike hits a two ton truck. I dont care who is at fault, the cyclist will lose every single time.

Same here I used to ride all the time too and you are exactly right about the right of way, it matters not if you "had" it when your dead.

We have the annual STP (Seattle to Portland) run go right through our town. It used to be that the police did not take part and you, as a driver, would sit through 5+ lights because they would form a solid line and just blow through the red lights. I remember seeing a guy across the intersection from me glowing red with anger, I am positive that he was on the edge of mowing them down, when a decent rider finally realized what was going on and stopped the others to let cars go. Those other riders were pissed off at him for stopping them. I guess riders feel that they have the right to bring the lives of all around them to a grinding halt, just because they are there.

The local PD decided it was time to step in after a number of near misses, so now you just sit through 3-4 lights waiting. :rolleyes:

first day i got my ls i was on the way home the first night i had it insured and registered stop at a stop sign seen no lights or cars in sight step on the gas and bam almost a biker slams in the the same spot your talking about but he ended up doing an endo and he had a stop sign

I don't have a problem with sharing the road with bicycles on 30MPH or slower roads, but 35 and up, they need to not be allowed AND be held 100 percent liable for any accidents they are involved in on roads over 30MPH. They should also be required to follow all the rules of the road if they want to be on the road. They run a stop sign and cause an accident, they get tagged for it. I also think they ought to be required to walk it across intersections like pedestrians rather than try riding across them. They obviously aren't in a hurry, or they wouldn't be riding a bicycle.

Got to the autobody shop today for the estimate. $1731...Stupid bicycling idiot.

Too bad he fled the scene of the accident so you can't make him pay. In VA, bicycles are required to obey all traffic signals. Most of them just blow through red lights and stop signs, completely heedless of oncoming traffic. I especially hate when they squeeze through stopped traffic to blow through a red light, only to impede said traffic once the light turns green. They're supposed to wait two full cycles of the light or two minutes before they're allowed to treat the red light as a stop sign.

One one of the routes where I like to walk, cyclists expect pedestrians to get out of there way while they ride in the clearly marked pedestrian only lane instead of the clearly marked bicycle only lane. Many cyclists are not just a nuisance but a danger to motor vehicles, pedestrians, and themselves.

True. I meant how they're supposed to treat a stop sign (stop, ensure there's no oncoming traffic, etc).

Too bad he fled the scene of the accident so you can't make him pay. In VA, bicycles are required to obey all traffic signals. Most of them just blow through red lights and stop signs, completely heedless of oncoming traffic. I especially hate when they squeeze through stopped traffic to blow through a red light, only to impede said traffic once the light turns green. They're supposed to wait two full cycles of the light or two minutes before they're allowed to treat the red light as a stop sign.

One one of the routes where I like to walk, cyclists expect pedestrians to get out of there way while they ride in the clearly marked pedestrian only lane instead of the clearly marked bicycle only lane. Many cyclists are not just a nuisance but a danger to motor vehicles, pedestrians, and themselves.

I agree with being a danger to themselves. It is not uncommon here to hear of serious accidents, sometimes fatal on some of the busiest HIGHWAYS. There is a 2 lane road that I travel to/from work, has no shoulder in most places, blind hiills and curves and people have recently started to ride bikes on it during the morning and evening peak hours. I can't understand why you would want to put youself in that situation on a bike. It is just a matter of time, before someone gets hurt. A girl was killed not far from here JOGGING on the HIGHWAY during evening peak.

Yeah I'm not too happy he boned out on me.

I'm pretty sure cyclists are supposed to follow the rules of the road (stop signs and such) in every state...
I don't mind them so much in suburban neighborhoods, but in busy main city roads they've become pretty annoying.

I agree with being a danger to themselves. It is not uncommon here to hear of serious accidents, sometimes fatal on some of the busiest HIGHWAYS. There is a 2 lane road that I travel to/from work, has no shoulder in most places, blind hiills and curves and people have recently started to ride bikes on it during the morning and evening peak hours. I can't understand why you would want to put youself in that situation on a bike. It is just a matter of time, before someone gets hurt. A girl was killed not far from here JOGGING on the HIGHWAY during evening peak.

Because they have the same rights as a car driver and doooooon't you fer-git iitt! Their rights are above petty little things like physics or that other mucky stuff.

Course in my opinion motorcycles have no business on interstates either, only vehicles in which the occupant rides inside a metal cage should be allowed on the high speed roads. But that's a whole different can of worms.

Members online

No members online now.
Back