arnott front air shocks cause knocking noise

opmanf

LVC Member
Reaction score
I replaced the front air shocks a couple of yrs ago and a knocking noise developed. I thought I had it fixed by replacing one sway bar link but the noise came back a couple of weeks later. Replaced the sway bar bushings and thought that made a difference for a week or so. I think the noise may be coming from inside the air spring and putting the vehicle on the lift stretched the shock and kept something from knocking for awhile. Has anyone taken off the top but (will air escape?) and looked for a loose shock inside? I'm ready to dump the air shocks and go with spring conversion kit.

yep. the shock mount inside the air bladder goes bad and they start clunking. happens to Arnott shocks all the time.

Just put new motocraft NOS shocks and bags in. Replaced upper control arm/ball joint ( needed it anyway) thought that was my rattle. Sway link boot is shot ( could it be sway link? ) rattle making me crazy thought it would go away this weekend after arm replacement ? Only hear it on vibration type bumps.

Just put new motocraft NOS shocks and bags in. Replaced upper control arm/ball joint ( needed it anyway) thought that was my rattle. Sway link boot is shot ( could it be sway link? ) rattle making me crazy thought it would go away this weekend after arm replacement ? Only hear it on vibration type bumps.

Replace sway links

I think I may have gotten the very last pair of decent Arnott air shocks. They stopped carying them right after I got a warranty replacement for a defective air spring :D But so far, knock on wood, mine are about 2 years old with no issues. I hope they stay that way. :)

next! compressor won't cut off!

Yes. Sway links rattle like crazy.

Thanks again guys replaced one when it went and rattled forgot that had happened.

NEXT Replace compressor with used Arnott, all seemed ok. Went into a store came out in about 10 min. compressor running and front end looked like I live in L.A. switch in trunkl did not cut comp. off, I needed to disconnect battery ( maybe another 5 min. running) Seemed to be just front. Switch back on and conn bat. pump is now off. Drove home released air from front solinoids and supported with a jack. Compressor will not go back on. checked fuse , connections even supplied power direct to compressor NOTHING! I noticed the power wires had some melting obviously dueto heat.

Could I have fried the compressor? and how did it get stuck in pump mode. Anybody have any experience with this?

Same issue here a couple weeks ago, with the Compressor stuck running. It ran the battery down, the relay had moisture at the connectors. Had a old relay and swapped it out, saved the original. Figured it would of toasted my compressor but its still good.
On another note,
My purchase of the Motorcraft Air Shocks are working well and worth the money.

Well, I found out what was causing my clunking noise. It was the right sway bar link to sway bar nut had backed off! I went ahead and installed a strutmaster spring kit regardless. I have 2 arnott front air shocks 2 yrs old, 2 rear airsprings 4 yrs old and all original solenoids and front height sensors for sell by pickup (peabody, ks). There's a craigslist add if anybody is interested. There may not be anything wrong with the Arnott front air shocks other than they're a pain to install since they extend apart further than either oem or spring shocks.

compressor run wild

Thanks again guys replaced one when it went and rattled forgot that had happened.

NEXT Replace compressor with used Arnott, all seemed ok. Went into a store came out in about 10 min. compressor running and front end looked like I live in L.A. switch in trunkl did not cut comp. off, I needed to disconnect battery ( maybe another 5 min. running) Seemed to be just front. Switch back on and conn bat. pump is now off. Drove home released air from front solinoids and supported with a jack. Compressor will not go back on. checked fuse , connections even supplied power direct to compressor NOTHING! I noticed the power wires had some melting obviously dueto heat.

Could I have fried the compressor? and how did it get stuck in pump mode. Anybody have any experience with this?

Well headache weekend. Gave juice direct to compressor would fill bags like a rock but not lift car. Thought it might be compressor so I got a new Arnott. Put it in had some leaking from the rear air lines at the connections, so I figure I must fix first. Noticed while soaping the connections the dryer canister was leaking out a seam!!!! Crap. Now I need to do it all over again. No compensation from Arnott I am sure for my time. This is my daily driver and f ing up my life for a week now.

Are the relays ( I guess my original problem ) available at dealer?

another question if the relay was stuck open would it explain why I could not even stop the pump with the cut off in trunk? and if relay is shot would it prevent the compressor from going back on again. The original problem was the compressor would not go back on after I disconnected the battery when compressor would not shut off. Compressor works just won't switch on at this point. ( I would like to return Compressor for refund and go back to my old one ( actually a Arnott replacement I bought used but worked fine)

It sounds like you have a bad relay.
Not sure the dealer has them (call).
I have used ones for sale.

eBay always has used relays, never know when you will need one.

My relay had moisture at the connectors as posted above, the only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery.

Thanks again guys my daily driver tied up for two weeks now, this is my 3rd Mk 8 and 300,000 miles inder my belt and first suspension nightmare I guess I should consider myself lucky. Aarnot spring conversion on the way. Will be selling new Motorcraft ( were in sealed boxes) only used for a couple months front air sispension. Back bags cheap were aftermarket but also recently installed.

Members online

Back