Arizona Meet

LDM

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Anyone in Arizona want to get our LS's together for some pics etc?

I see the following folks have posted from Arizona:

Rodewaryer
Voyeur
Jerbear19
LDM
Gixxer
FrankLS
Infamous Amos
2001LS8Sport
06LSMero
2FAST4U
B_Kuz
TofuDog

Anyone else in the nearby area want to get together in Central AZ?
(It will be cooler in a month or so, we have time to make a plan...)

I've tried in the past, tried and failed.

Yes I've always been game for an LS G2G. We could meet at the pavillions some saturday night or separately somewhere else. South Mountain has made a pretty good locale for the Focus club and we've met up there many times. Has plenty of photogenic spots. I've looked for other parks as well but many have entrance fees.

A drive with some place scenic would be cool (all paved). South Mountain would have some views and places to take pics. I don't know if the Apache Trail is all paved or not... get photos with the Superstition Mountains.

Pavillion...? in Scottsdale? I was just there tonight at the movie theatre to see Cowboys vs Aliens (surprisingly it was better than I was expecting).

Scenic drive, photo-ops, and a place to eat later would work for me.

So far I have every weekend open in September.

An AZ meet would be pretty nice. Work and school take up about all day of my schedule but once a date is established ill see what I can do.

How about South Mountain for a Photo Op, then to Alice Cooperstown for food & drinks?

We could do South Mountain in the afternoon (the gated park areas close at 7pm).
Maybe Rodewaryer will chime in for S.M. pic locations and initial meeting spot at the park.

South Mountain:
http://phoenix.gov/recreation/rec/parks/preserves/locations/south/index.html
http://phoenix.about.com/od/sportshiking/ss/South-Mountain-Park-Trail-Map.htm
http://0.tqn.com/d/phoenix/1/0/a/I/southmtnmap.jpg

Alice Cooperstown:
http://www.alicecooperstown.com/index.html

We could leave South Mountain after taking pictures late afternoon/eve, and then cruise straight up Central Ave to Jackson St. Turn right (East) 1 block to 1st street. Park and meet, have some food etc at Alice Cooperstown. There is a parking garage North across the street (could park on top outside for another group shot). Street parking has meters that take coins.

Saturday September 3rd there is no local Arizona Diamondbacks Baseball game (as they are away playing the Giants starting at 6PM).

That would make parking easier at Cooperstown (the game will be on the TV screens).

(If someone wanted to go to a Diamond Backs or Cardinals game, we could pick a different weekend in September).

That date of Saturday September 3 doesn't work for everyone.

How about Sunday September 4 (or Saturday September 10)?

I can do the 4th. Nothing on the chedule right now.

I am up for a meet. Unfortunately, I already have plans to be out of town Labor Day weekend. Sept 10 may work.
It will likely still be around 100 in early September. Early Oct./late September will be nicer.
South Mountain is a great location. If you drive up to one of the lookout points before 10 AM, the place is deserted. We can have full access to nice photo op locations.
I am interested...let's see what place/date/etc. works out.

After reading some of your PM's: Everyone agrees so far on South Mountain, and tentatively September 10th for the meet.

Some have replied that they work on Sunday's. Just so we all know... Saturday's work best, so far.

I'll try to meet any time of day. The best pictures are taken early morning, or late afternoon. It brings out more colors and shadows etc (also somewhat cooler).

If we could meet by September 18th, we could send an entry for the calendar cover shot.

Thanks for trying to get this meet going. Its going to be extrmley hard to get all of us in az to meet up. Unfortunately if its on the 10th I will not be able to make it due to work, but that seems to be the best date for this meet.

Some LVC'rs in AZ work every weekend, some work every other Saturday... some can meet on Wednesday's... and the list goes on.

It appears every other Saturday would work for most (or Wednesdays?).

Those Saturday dates would be: Sept 10 or 24, Oct 8 or 22.

There are eight of us responding, and six that want to go.

3 can make it on Wednesdays.
5 can make it on every other Saturday.

Need to know if more of us can make it on Wednesdays, or find another Saturday to get 4-5 of us... (we have 3 people for September 10... 4 if gixxer can make it).

I'd rather put in a little more effort and find a better date... it appears we have not found a date that works for both Tucson folks. I have not heard from Infamous Amos in Tucson, anyone know him? (That would be 3 LS's from Tucson).

Who can't make it on Wednesdays?

Who can make it Saturday September 24?

We have a possible 4th person for Wednesdays, if we can meet after 5-6PM.

I can do this next wed at around those times. Sorry to not respond to the PM but ive been pretty busy lately. Get off of work wed at 1pm.

My work schedule is not out for the 24th yet but I can request if thats the date we set. Ill be avail all day.
If we are able to have a good full day avail from everybody taht would mean better photo opportunities.

For Wednesdays it looks like Sept 14 (or later) works best.

Hopefully we can still work on getting together on a Saturday with more folks.

To help pick which Wednesday and Saturday, here's some information we have so far for common availability (hope you guys don't mind me sharing some date/day info)...

5 people for Wednesdays (let's do this quick before it's dark after 5-6PM):
Jerbear19, LDM, Rodewaryer, Voyeur, FrankLS

5 people for some Saturdays:
Gixxer, FrankLS, LDM, Rodewaryer, Voyeur

Availability/Limitations:
LDM: Wednesdays & Saturdays
Rodewaryer: Wednesdays & Every other Saturday (Sept 10, Sept 24, Oct 8, Oct 22...)
Voyeur: Wednesdays (after 5-6PM) & Saturdays
Jerbear19: Wednesdays after Sept 7 (Sept 14, 21, 28 & Oct 5, 12, 19)
FrankLS: Wednesdays (after 1PM+travel time) & Saturdays (Travel from Tucson)
Gixxer: Saturdays (Travel from Tucson)

Let's do both:
Wednesday after 5-6PM w/Jerbear19 (4 Phoenix Metro locals, FrankLS optional from Tucson)
Saturday with Gixxer & FrankLS (both from Tucson, let's try to get all 5 of us)

Please add names to dates that work for you, I'll fill out what I can.
(Use "Quote" to add/remove names):

Wednesdays (want to meet Sept 14, since they all work?):
Sep 14: LDM, Jerbear19, Rodewaryer, Voyeur (after 5-6PM), FrankLS (Tucson)
Sep 21: LDM, Jerbear19, Rodewaryer, Voyeur (after 5-6PM), FrankLS (Tucson)
Sep 28: LDM, Jerbear19, Rodewaryer, Voyeur (after 5-6PM), FrankLS (Tucson)
Oct 05: LDM, Jerbear19, Rodewaryer, Voyeur (after 5-6PM), FrankLS (Tucson)
Oct 12: LDM, Jerbear19, Rodewaryer, Voyeur (after 5-6PM), FrankLS (Tucson)
Oct 19: LDM, Jerbear19, Rodewaryer, Voyeur (after 6PM), FrankLS (Tucson)

Saturdays might be best for Gixxer & FrankLS (both from Tucson):
Sep 10: LDM, Rodewaryer, Voyeur
Sep 24: LDM, Rodewaryer, FrankLS (Tucson)
Oct 08: LDM, Rodewaryer
Oct 22: LDM, Rodewaryer

Anywhere with a nice back drop and room to move cars around works for me. If we meet late, like at 6:30 for Voyeur... I don't know how much light would be left for South Mountain. Anyone have a nice looking place in mind in Fountain Hills, Scottsdale, North Scottsdale, Carefree, Cave Creek that they could suggest? (South Mountain could still work).

You guys throw out some options for locations/dates (I'll be focused on getting my car back from the shop for now and trying to get back home. I don't know when I can get to the computer again).

I'll meet you guys anywhere, anytime.

I'm still in for an occasional wednesday or better, a saturday as long it lands on those mentioned before (10th/24th). And yes, my suggestion for the pavillions meant the Scottsdale location for the ever popular saturday night car show. This is something else we could do after meeting at South Mountain Park.

South mountain is easy, many places to meet and even driving around the property is fun and scenic. Dobbins point has a good view of the valley with ample parking. The top site at the towers is good for group pics as well, and there are still many lots around the park I have not checked out fully yet. Easiest place to meet is at the Dobbins point lookout lot, along the second half of the lot which allows for better photography with the city backdrop. The park even works for Tucson visitors, as it's fairly central to the valley.

Something I've noticed though, we're having trouble scraping together 5-7 people, to include Tucson and yet I see LS's everywhere. I'm just sayin....

i actually live in fountain hills and we have one of the worlds largest fountains here i dont no what you guys think about having the photo shoot on the grass with the fountain in the background but let me no if you like the idea and i can see what i can do about legally getting permission to do it.

i actually live in fountain hills and we have one of the worlds largest fountains here i dont no what you guys think about having the photo shoot on the grass with the fountain in the background but let me no if you like the idea and i can see what i can do about legally getting permission to do it.

Got any pics of the spot you're talking about? Here's a couple from South Mountain.

fiestasmtnentrancefeb20.jpg

fiestasmtnentrancefeb20.jpg

fiestasmtnfeb2011redu.jpg

focaljetnffg2gapr2009.jpg

Crappy shot, I really wasn't with it when I took this one...nice backdrop though.

smtnfeb2011dobbinspt2re.jpg

The Boulders resort public lot in Scottdale.

fiestaattheboulderspubl.jpg

The Boulders location looks real nice. It is fairly far north of Phoenix in Cave Creek? We may not have time to do that location with the deadline fast approaching, but I think a Boulder location followed by a Pavillions meet up (if we can get 10 spots reserved there for us) would be a great October gathering.

Just had a wednesday night impromptu G2G for the Focaljet guys to meet a fellow forum member from out of town.

Nice photo op near the entrance.

focussouthmtnsep2011.jpg

Got to the top too late to get any shots of the cars...

g2gsouthmtnparksep2011a.jpg

The scenery from up there is almost always good.

g2gsouthmtnparksep2011g.jpg

So...is there still a plan to meet on Wednesday and where? The weather looks to be good (and even cooler at 96 degrees that day). There will be some rain and some dust storms before then. The challenge for me will be to find he time to clean my car and then keep it dust free for Wednesday.

Let me know what the plans may be. I wish my DSLR was working so I could assist in the taking of the pictures.

Members online

No members online now.
Back