Are rear subframes the same for Gen 1 & 2 ?

Carl Smith

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Going to need a rear subframe swap soon and wanted to check on this to eliminate issues. Is the Thunderbird the same as Gen 1 LS ? Thanks to anyone who has looked into this and replies.

I believe the Gen 1 of the LS is the same as the 2002 Thunderbird , & the Gen 2 is the same as the the 2003-2005 Thunderbird. Also, the Gen 1 S-Type might be similar enough to swap, but can't confirm. Tijoe would probably be the guy to talk to about this

I found a cherry 02 T-bird subframe..but didn't know if any LS subframe will interchange as its opens up more options on getting a good deal on one. I have a Gen 1 LS.

Is the frame itself damaged, or is it the bushings?

Is the frame itself damaged, or is it the bushings?

Frame rot on drivers side..the rest of it and the bushings are in great shape. I've been wanting to pull it and paint the frame and swap in a lower ratio V6 rear anyway so this was just an added expense. May have the replacement frame powder coated as well.

IMG_E2875.JPG

Sounds like a good plan. Since it's a Gen 1, you could swap in a Truetrac or Torsen LSD too. Way cheaper than the Gen 2 option (Quaife)

Gen I and Gen II on the Jaguar S-types have different sub-frames. I would stay away from trying to deal with swapping a Gen II Jaguar into a LS. Gen 1 Jaguar sub-frames should swap directly into a LS. But, there might be slight differences on the emergency brake cable mounting brackets and exhaust hangers. (Something to double check.)

I am all for putting in a Ford 8.8 differential with LSD. That swap is documented on this forum. But it will set you back $3K to $5K to do it right.

Depending on how much money you can afford to spend, I favor purchasing a complete drop out, refurbishing the whole unit off the car and then swap out the your old sub-frame assembly with the new one. If your car is still operational, it makes it a weekend swap rather than a couple week or perhaps a month long project. You can take your time cleaning up and / or replacing all the worn out parts off of the car.

(Adding - When I started thinking, when I mean a complete dropout, I mean enough of the rear assembly so that you can refurb the lower control arms, hub carrier so you can put in a new axle bearing. If your shocks, upper mounts and springs are in good shape, you can reuse them. Reuse the sway bar, but replace the mounting bushings and perhaps the links. Put in new tie rods. Aftermarket upper control arms are so inexpenive, I'd purchase a new set. Perhaps purchase a new set of refurbished axles. If you wanted to change rear end ratios, having a spare differential isn't a bad item to have that could be rebuilt ahead of time.

Remember to take a close look at the differential mount condition and the frame mounts to be sure thay aren't rotten/cracked on the subframe. )

Last edited:
Gen I and Gen II on the Jaguar S-types have different sub-frames. I would stay away from trying to deal with swapping a Gen II Jaguar into a LS. Gen 1 Jaguar sub-frames should swap directly into a LS. But, there might be slight differences on the emergency brake cable mounting brackets and exhaust hangers. (Something to double check.)

I am all for putting in a Ford 8.8 differential with LSD. That swap is documented on this forum. But it will set you back $3K to $5K to do it right.

Depending on how much money you can afford to spend, I favor purchasing a complete drop out, refurbishing the whole unit off the car and then swap out the your old sub-frame assembly with the new one. If your car is still operational, it makes it a weekend swap rather than a couple week or perhaps a month long project. You can take your time cleaning up and / or replacing all the worn out parts off of the car.

I was asking about Gen 1 and Gen 2 LS frame differences. I just need to swap the frame itself and was wanting to know if all LS's used the same frame to have more buying options etc. I'm swapping in a V6 auto rear pumpkin..same unit just a lower gear and only $200 shipped.

I repaired a 2000 with a Gen 2 rear subframe. The only differences I was able to see were the E brake cable guide or mounts, but it all adapted nicely. I also bought the S type subframe mount bushings, since Ford did not resolve to that level, it was a whole subframe for 2K USD at that time, then not too long afterwards, they were not available, period. I got a deal on mine, it came with control arms and knuckles off a newer car that found its way into a junk yard at a young age.

Members online

No members online now.
Back