apprentice changing brakes

pal_bonds

LVC Member
Reaction score
I need instructions on changing my front pads on a 00 v6 LS. I've never changed brakes before. Anyone info would be appreciated. :dj:

Too easy

Just jack up the car, remove the rims. first you need to make room for the new brakes, so take a pry bar or a big screwdriver and place between the brake pad and the rotor, pry these two apart gently until there is enough room in between the caliper and the rotor for the new brakes... this takes a little while. after you have enough room for the new brakes there are two bolts on the back of the caliper assembly, they hold the two piece caliper assm. to each other... they are the bolts that go through the little rubber boot. just remove the bottom bolt, and rotate the caliper up, remove the old brakes, put in the new ones, and then rotate the caliper back down to where you can get the bolt back in.... good luck, and if you have any questions, please ask.

not sure I would use anything to pry against the rotor....

the front calipers come off and on fairly easy - and you will have to gently push the caliper in to allow for the fatter new pads. Open the master cylinder lid.

the rears are not as easy - since they use a racketing piston - the piston has to be wound back into the caliper. You can buy a little tool from AutoZone to help you, or use a big wrench to wind the piston back in (if you use a wrench be careful not to scar up the piston). The rear piston has a 'bump' on it that needs to be in a 90 degree angle to the caliper - and the rear pads have a notch in them that fits into the bump - look at them when you pull off the caliper.

all in all - it's not tough.

A big C-Clamp works wonders for a standard style caliper (the front brakes). Just pull the cap to the master cylinder and use the c-clamp to compress the piston into the caliper while everything is still bolted up. It's safe for the caliper and rotor and very effective, not to mention quick.

I would strongly recommend against using a pry bar to compress the piston by pressing on the rotor/pad. That's just begging for problems.

I'm interested in the rear brake setup though. Not something I've dealt with yet. Anyone have any pics of how it's setup??

Fastbird said:
I would strongly recommend against using a pry bar to compress the piston by pressing on the rotor/pad. That's just begging for problems.
in fact - it will not even work - the rear piston is threaded and must be turned (wound) back into the caliper.

I'm interested in the rear brake setup though. Not something I've dealt with yet. Anyone have any pics of how it's setup??
it is really not complicated - just make sure to look at where the 'bump' on the piston is when you remove the rear caliper - it'll make sense when you see the 'notch' in the rear pad.

Quik LS said:
in fact - it will not even work - the rear piston is threaded and must be turned (wound) back into the caliper.

I was just speaking in terms of the front brakes there.
:Beer

no worries - I am on my 3rd set of brakes in 30,000 miles so my rear brakes aren't dificult to swap anymore.............. :Beer :Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back