Apply Parking Brake Light on

LQ1906

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Shortly after I got my 03 V8 Sport back from getting the coils and plugs installed along with fuel filter and air filter and used tire added on rear passenger side due to blow out, I noticed a few things. First, the warning chime for Apply Parking Brake Light came on. I applied the brake by foot since that what the message stated but light never went off. Then I kept depressing the Parking brake button and depressing the brake pedal simultaneously. Nothing changed, then message said Service parking brake. What gives?

Also noticed the car drives just a little stiffer. Not sure if it's due to the cold weather or something else. It still goes but at first the throttle tip in was extremely sensitive. Now I have to depress the gas a little more. No CEL lights or anything but still here that whine in the engine. I do know that I need a belt and/or pulley tensioners. There's a constant chirp or intermittent squeal which makes me believe it's the serpentine belt.

Is it freezing there? Is it possible that the parking brake is stuck part way on?
There is a procedure in the owner's manual for reinitializing the parking brake. Read and follow it carefully. That might resolve it.
Lastly, it is possible that you have a fault with the system.

Yep it's like low to mid 20s and im sure teens at nighttime so that could explain what's going on. Drove the car again and the light went off so not sure what that was all about.

Lost me at "teens at nighttime"...

Think it was a DVD movie I ordered ....

My own '02 parking brake is all-mechanical and I've never had to work on the newer electric-apply system so I may be all wet. If your system still has mechanical cables going back to the back wheels, it is not un-common to have one of the cables corrode inside so the inner part sticks with the brake partly on.

If that's so in your case, a short-term remedy is to jerk the cable from side to side so as to make the inner and outer parts work against each other. This might free things up. But if you then set the brakes again you'll be back where you started.

KS

Members online

Back