Anyone with a Mark VIII throttle body they can look at?

Sincoln

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out if the Continental from the same era (99' in my case) has an overly lazy secondary butterfly blade opening as a car-specific detune "feature" or if both cars got this across the board. I could swear my 96' Mark VIII had both open at the same time, though it's been ages.

If someone has a moment, can you look at your butterfly blades in the throttle body, then open slowly via throttle cable to simulate a gradual WOT, and tell me if BOTH butterfly blades open in unison, or does one open earlier, then the mechanical blade link bar gradually opens the other blade?

Here's the other post with more detail:
Anyone mod their secondary butterfly linkage?

the staged tb allows for better resolution at low throttle input.
and yes, the 1st gen mark was the same.

By resolution, you mean response?

Anyone here try altering the timing of the secondary? Thinking about adding a throttle spring to keep slight tension on the linkage bar (for consistency's sake as the amount of slack is dubious), and possibly fabbing some type of adjustable mechanical limiter to the stepping action on the bar. Has this been tried before on these engines? At the very least, I'd like to get both blades at full open on WOT, which doesn't seem to be the case as-is.

not really, no.
if you need response, just push the pedal more.
it takes more pedal down low because that's where 99% of driving is.
so more pedal travel for less throttle body movement, means a more accurate foot, and TPS, because it will see more data points down low.

also makes it harder for old people to reverse at full speed into a walmart.

you lose that resolution up top, but who cares, it's already WOT by then anyway.

yeah you could maybe tweak the tb to open just a smidge more, but why?
that tb is already outflowing the intake anyway.

it would be more interesting to see if a mach 1 intake could be put on a 99 conti instead, because they have c heads already.

Hmm, looking at Mach 1 intake for the DOHC 4.6, it appears it's throttle body has both blades opening in unison, as it has a shaft running through the entire center section that the blades are attached to. Here's a pic of one (top image is a stock Mach 1 as far as I can tell)
mach1+cobra+front+open+copy.jpg

Makes you wonder how much of a gain is from the different TB vs. the actual intake between Mach and non Mach (aluminum, not plastic)? Aftermarket TB for the Mach 1 also go w/o any stepping as far as I can tell.

Went ahead and made a simple connecting bar, and swapped the factory one out. Can't make the bar shorter as it'll pre-load the secondary open, causing higher idle, but you can remove the slack and make the holes for the studs on the linkage, very close to their size, and it won't bind, unlike the factory link bar which has an irregular hole on one end, that's very loose on the stud.

Throttle response tip in, like say going 35 with your foot barely touching the pedal, then a small push, it seems to respond better. Nothing crazy though. Not going to jump a curb and destroy a window.

I don't think a true 1:1 ratio with both blades is possible w/o some kind of extensive changes to the lever arm locations (or a baby chain with tiny sprockets :D).

Members online

No members online now.
Back