Anyone swapped Gen 1 v6 to Gen 2 v6?

Chazzo

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did a quick search and saw no info on this topic. I own a 2000 V-6 Manual transmission with 208,000 miles. I know eventually Im going to need to swap motor. I also know there are no real performance upgrades available. The 00-01 V-6 produce 210hp, the 2002-2003 V-6 produce 220hp and the 03 and newer (Gen 2) V-6 vvt motors produce 232hp.

Has anyone swapped a Gen- 2 v6 into gen 1? Opinions on difficulty/pros and cons? I am a pretty decent shade tree mechanic and have nearly all tools. My biggest concerns are ecu/tcu issues. then second question is the 2002 swap seems the most probable and the 02 models still had manual transmission so one less hurdle. Would see 10hp gain and asmall torque gain.

Thanks for any input.

I would think most of the gen 2 power gain came from the VVT system, so you'd need to tune it to take advantage of that (assuming there's enough flexibility in the fuel map and assuming a pure oil-controlled phaser). I'd kinda be surprised if the later gen 2s actually had a difference of power. Early V8s were rated at 260hp whereas later gen 1 V8s were dropped to 252. Nothing changed other than the way the power was measured. Neither of those gains would be felt in the butt dyno as much as you'd feel the attitude change from a decent tune on the stock engine

Without wiring for the VVT solenoids on the Gen 1 car... you wouldn't have any control over the Gen 2 cam phasers.

Can't tell you for sure that Gen 1 solid cam gears would be a direct bolt on for a Gen 2 engine.

Probably going to be some trial and error here. I'm thinking there's gonna be some other wiring harness issues too. Probably at least the throttle body.

Somewhere recently... there was a member that put a Gen 2 V8 in a Gen 1 car... with a super charger.

He'd be a good one to talk to.

Members online

No members online now.
Back